Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Small Pistol Magnum Primers

je4134

The only primers I have been able to find locally in months is Winchester Small Pistol Magnum primers. How will these work in a striker-fire pistol? Are they too hard? I'm shooting a Springfield XDM with N320 powder, 4.7g, enough to make major power factor. Any input is welcomed. Thanks.

They work fine, as do small rifle as long as they go off. Stay away from Wolf small rifle, the cup is too hard for a pistol to set off usually.

Stick to the Min loads or as said earlier, drop you load by 10% for magnum primers.

Don't use small pistol in rifle ever. Large rifle and pistol are different heights, don't sub those.

The only difference between small pistol and small pistol magnum primers is the amount of compound in the cup. The hardness of the cup is the same, but magnum primers have a bit more compound to increase the length of the spark so as to better light up the slower powders in a longer column generally used in magnum pistol loads. As advised by Alaskapopo, you should reduce your loads by a few 10ths of a grain to allow for more of the powder being lit up more quickly with the magnum primer and thus raising pressure somewhat. This is more important the closer you are to max loadings with a particular powder.

I have found very little difference in velocity when changing between small pistol, small rifle, and small pistol magnum primers. I don't think the magnum primers are much if any hotter than regular primers, but I do believe they add some compounds to make them ignite some powders a little better.

Mike