Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tar Baby's Range Diary

Sleepswithdogs

I don't handle shooting poorly, well. Shooting well and loosing is one thing, but shooting poorly and sucking, is entirely another. Not really sure what happened. Not sure if it was the change in the trigger or a breakdown in my mechanics, or the small bit of med I took for the carpel tunnel problem, but I stunk up the range is the only way I can put it.

Did well on not having any procedures, but my accuracy was terrible. I don't feel the gun is shooing badly, and don't think the bullets are grouping badly, it's me. I was jerking the trigger, and shooting low, way, way low. At fist I thought it could be the sights, but I could see a couple of hits were just where I was aiming when I got a chance to see the hits.

It will be 2 weeks before I'm able to pickup a lightened striker and get back to the trigger pull I had before.

I just need to remember that 2 weeks of dry fire and conditioning won't make me Bob Vogel. :) As I write that it reminds me of how silly it is to think anything but, I have plenty of work to do, which I think, is a good part of what this diary means to me.

I think the only thing to do is keep doing what I'm doing... I know the only thing to do is keep doing what I'm doing.

Ring tone today.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sold the last pup last to an x-military guy. I think he is probably former special forces. He will make a wonderful owner even though he is older (72). Spent a lot of time teaching him about how to care for her. I know they will be VERY happy with her, especially when they figure out what a terrific dog she is going to be. This let me order the striker I need to put the pistol back the way it was, with the light striker spring and hopefully get the good trigger pull back. Thinking back to the classifier, the long shots were some of my best, so I can only hope that the increased trigger pull is what had me shooting low. Ordered from Glockworx, and they are really fast. I might have the new striker by Thursday for the match.

We need to load more 9ml. Think will probably start on it tomorrow.

If I were to say I wasn't really bummed about how I shot Sun, it would be a lie. OK, I'm really bummed, but I'll get over it, and keep progressing.

It's hard to not get bummed out when you put so much effort into something and it doesn't go as planned. Do you think you were overthinking and psyching yourself out because of all the work you put in?

Ask this........

Two novice shooters of equal ability are training exactly the same for two weeks. Then one takes a 2 week break while the other continues training. Now it has been 4 weeks, and they both go to a competition,............Who do you think wins and why?

It's hard to not get bummed out when you put so much effort into something and it doesn't go as planned. Do you think you were overthinking and psyching yourself out because of all the work you put in?

Hi Kita, I really felt I was out of the dumps and on the road to good shooting when I shot well last Thurs match. Made at least 1 procedure error and likely a mental error, but hit everything I aimed at, even choose all head shots on the last stage because though it was harder, it was faster and had good groups with the head shots. So Sunday I expected to pick up where I left off Thurs, and instead had at least 4 fail to neutralize. Was shooting nearly 2 feet low at only 50'. At first I thought it was the sights, they are new on the gun, but a friend shot it and it shot fine for him, so it was me.

Hard part for me was, I thought i was on the road to better shooting, only to shoot worse than I had the first match back.

All i can do is put the trigger back together the way it was but with the better striker this time, and hope that was the cause. I also will pay very close attention to my basics next match.

Thanks for your note. It is appreciated.

Tar

Ask this........

Two novice shooters of equal ability are training exactly the same for two weeks. Then one takes a 2 week break while the other continues training. Now it has been 4 weeks, and they both go to a competition,............Who do you think wins and why?

Equal ability... the shooter who doesn't take a break shoots better. More practice, more conditioning = better results.

Tar

Pistol has always been my weakness. I have years of 3 position rifle experience, and years of shotgun competition, but pistol... This is my opportunity to strengthen my pistol shooting and I want to make the most of it.

Well, stunk up the range again tonight. Not only did my accuracy suck, but I made many mental errors. Something has drastically changed from last Thurs to this Thurs. I made some changes to the gun last week, added a grip sock, heavier trigger, and different sights. (I just hope it isn't me, because I don't feel any different.) A week ago I was grouping well, tonight's groups, at short range, were greater than 1 foot and that was the better groups! Had some nearly at the bottom of an idpa target at 20 feet!!!

Plan:

Taking off the grip sock

Putting the stock sights back on

Putting in the new light striker with the light striker spring. Striker probably arrives Friday, or Monday at the worst.

Going back to conditioning, (haven't exercised since Sat)

Going back to dry fire. (haven't dry fired since Sat)

Adding jogging.

Adding meditation

Going to start taking dmsa on a regular basis for a while. (logging here)

Going to log any gun related changes/work here, (likely in red) from now on.

I know that changing more than one thing at a time will leave it so that if I shoot well next week, I won't be sure which of these changes was the winner, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm not going to waste ammunition shooting like this, it's embarrassing! This is not how I shoot.

All is forgiven on the phone. He said he was just kidding and I feel much better about it all.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Got my groove back. Did 50 push-ups yesterday, sets 25, 15, 10 The first 25 went very well.

Continuing grip strengthening work today. (Done, several hrs) Doing a lot of ab work.

L hand is being difficult, the CT is acting up and I believe the injury to Campers chiasm area and the profundus, has caused arthritic changes in the prox jt of the 3rd dig which gives me a lot of px. Has serious negative impact on ADL. Unable dc 5mg pred/d s substantial > px.

New striker came in yesterday. Going to put it in today. (Done) Needs a little polishing at the interface, (Done) otherwise it is a work of art.

Going to take off the grip sock, (Done) and I think, go back to stock sights (Done). I'm a bit concerned about the front sight screw. It screws into a plastic piece in the sight and I think the threads are getting a bit weak.

Jack showed me the sights he uses, nice Trueglow front sight c stock rear sight. If I can find a TG FO front sight I'm going to pick it up and give it a try. Also like to give the Wolf 10# a try. They report they are slow on orders due to all the nonsense in Washington, so I should order now, and wait for it to come in.

Going to get in a bunch of dry fire today, (Done) as well as conditioning and meditation (Done) Have been practicing dry fire s cover, only to find at the range the cover is giving problems.

Going to retrieve my Browning vest and see if I can wear that. It may, or may not be acceptable, only bring it and see. Jack said he has one he can sell me at a fair price but he won't be back until I believe, this coming Thurs.

Going see what spring Bob is using. It looks to be very light. (Sent email)

Would like to load a bunch of 9, but don't know if my room mate is up to it today. Perhaps tomorrow things will look better for loading.

20 min dry fire. Worked on draw c cover. Mag changes c cover. Mag changes c retention and cover. Realize that the clean draw/mag pull comes from throwing back the cover. Had some problems loading the throw into my brain for the mag retention/mag pull, (on the L side). Make sure 1st shirt is well tucked in.

Must do the throw to make anything clean.

RBU-350

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Struggling with some memory issues, today was no fun memory wise.. This is a source of major problems for me in idpa. I am struggling with all the do's and don'ts of the stages. Buzzer goes off and it all goes out of my head unless I have time to study the motions. Going early in the rotation is very hard for me.

Doing a bunch of ab work today. Working on turning my 12 pac belly into 6 pac abs.

Added some grip tape and thoroughly cleaned the 34.

2oomgdmsa

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Ask this........

Equal ability... the shooter who doesn't take a break shoots better. More practice, more conditioning = better results.

Tar

Is it better to prepare for an event through the day before the event, or do most people take that day off from training?

Tar baby?

"Didn't the fox never catch the rabbit, Uncle Remus?" asked the little boy the next evening.

"He come mighty nigh it, honey, sho's you born--Brer Fox did. One day atter Brer Rabbit fool 'im wid dat calamus root, Brer Fox went ter wuk en got 'im some tar, en mix it wid some turpentime, en fix up a contrapshun w'at he call a Tar-Baby, en he tuck dish yer Tar-Baby en he sot 'er in de big road, en den he lay off in de bushes fer to see what de news wuz gwine ter be.

Had a couple of friends that called me Tar because I stick.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Ask this........

Tar

Is it better to prepare for an event through the day before the event, or do most people take that day off from training?

In all the sports (or plays) I ever trained for, heavy training took place way before the event, traditionally the day before is used for relaxation. I would think it the same here. We always said, if you need to train the day before an event, you haven't trained enough in the preceding weeks. Any workouts done the day before are usually very light run through's if one is needed.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Continuing conditioning; did 3 sets c dumbbell. Push-ups. Ab work. Hand strengthening work.

Went to the hand clinic this am. They are scheduling an EMG study. Think I will end up telling them all the secrets before the torture ends. They are thinking of doing CT surgery + exploration to see why the 2nd dig, prox jt, is not doing complete active flexion. My best guess is infusion of scar tissue from the capsulodesis into the pulley, but that is just a guess on my part.

I have noticed a problem with my L arm. Seems I have stopped locking it out al ah, Robert Vogel. I grew up shooting pistol with bent elbows to absorb recoil, and it appears to me that I may be slipping back into that habit. Worked tonight on getting my L arm higher than my R arm in the shooting position. Did repetition until it became natural, and will do more before the next shoot in hopes that I can lock it into my brain.

Had to do some deep pressure work on the origin of the Brachioradialis. Seems there might be a slight tear in the attachment at the origin, causing some px in that position. tx c Tiger Balm/ deep pressure during external rotation.

Richie Havens passed away today. It affects me more than I had thought. I will never forget him or the great time he and Dennis, me, et. al., had in Gainesville. Seems just the other day. Generous, kind, excellent musician. One of a kind. Freedom!! RIP, Richie.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Tar baby?

"Didn't the fox never catch the rabbit, Uncle Remus?" asked the little boy the next evening.

"He come mighty nigh it, honey, sho's you born--Brer Fox did. One day atter Brer Rabbit fool 'im wid dat calamus root, Brer Fox went ter wuk en got 'im some tar, en mix it wid some turpentime, en fix up a contrapshun w'at he call a Tar-Baby, en he tuck dish yer Tar-Baby en he sot 'er in de big road, en den he lay off in de bushes fer to see what de news wuz gwine ter be.

Tar

Oh i know what the name means , just curious what kind of message you were sending using it

Tar baby?

Tar

Oh i know what the name means , just curious what kind of message you were sending using it

Not sending a message, it's for me. Edited by Sleepswithdogs

This is your third post on the subject. I have been patient, and direct. I have told you twice what it means to me. I don't know what you have in mind but I have little patience for this crap. I don't know what it means to you, and without meaning to sound harsh, I really don't care what it means to you. I imagine nearly every phrase has several meanings these days, bad is bad, or bad is good. I'm just not into all this double talk, I don't have that kind of time. I'm a simple guy with simple goals. Period. Is that clear enough?

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

SUCCESS!!! Don't know what it was, the grip, sights, trigger weight (most likely IMO)... But what ever it was, it is no more. I was shooting right where I was aiming. Were it not for one bad target where I lost the sights, (failure to call shots) woulda', coulda'. :goof: I don't know what place I came in, it's not important to me. What is important to me is hitting what I aim at, with a decent pace, being in the flow. Even my brain worked better tonight. All I need now is to gain my confidence back. (The past 2 weeks was really hard)

So, from here on it's up, up, up. Going to start shooting 3g again, next weekend, and going to shoot a uspsa match next week.

More push-ups, sit-ups, weight work, grip strengthening work, meditation, running, and more dry fire.

Going to make perhaps 2 more equipment changes, going to go to a true glow FO, front sight with the stock rear sight, and one more change, going to change the slide lock, (I think it's called).

Tar.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Can't find anywhere to practice. I'd love to set up a stage and shoot it a couple of times, but there is no where I know of where I can do what we do, shoot and run, run and shoot.

Working with griper, (> 2hrs) doing situps (100+) and pushups. (25x1)

Not feeling very strong tonight.

Note moderate improvement in my command of the present.

I don't think I ever really understood the phrase, "carpe diem." Thinking on my life, my goals, accomplishments and failures, I had a new prospective this morning, a new definition of what those words mean to me, and I set out today with new appreciation of the day, and what it can hold.

Forgot to add: RBU 400

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Carpe diem!

Gripper- Mucho grippo

Dumbbell - 1x15 1x15 1x15 1x15

Sit-ups- 100+ 50+ 50 + 50

Push-ups - 30x1 25x1 25x1 25x1

I had forgotten how much fun it is to get into shape, and how important it is on so many levels.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Can't find anywhere to practice. I'd love to set up a stage and shoot it a couple of times, but there is no where I know of where I can do what we do, shoot and run, run and shoot.

How about training where you compete? And dry-firing at home, of course.

I'd love to, but it's one of those public ranges with lanes, we have it only on match nights.

Tar