Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tar Baby's Range Diary

Sleepswithdogs

This looks to be an interesting thing, so I raise a glass of beer to all and start.

Training 15min a day.

3/26/13

Doesn't sound like much to some, but to me, an all or nothing person, it is an adventure in a new land. I bought a dry-fire book, and while it is interesting and I am sure I will get lots of mileage out of it, for me so far, it seems to have been more along the lines of getting permission to dry-fir.

Tuesday, practiced 15 min today. Watched many vids about shooting, the mag changes in the vid here were amazing. I see his mag is just out of the gun while the new mag passes it only about 6'' from the bottom of the gun. I am working on mag changes and my old mag is growing mold on the ground while my new mag is still headed for the well. :)

Also worked on grip. IMO, Bob Vogel seems to have the grip I wish to emulate, and so practiced meeting the gun on the way up the way he does and also obtaining that massive grip he has.

Last, worked on not dropping my head, or stepping forward as I draw. I see that the very fast people stand quite still while they draw, and so, since it works so well for those at the top, I'm going to change what I am doing, dropping my head, bending my spine, stepping into the shot, and instead, just stand still and bring the gun up into my sight.

I notice that when I miss, it's usually high and I can see that I need to ingrain keeping the gun level before the shot, and not setting in barrel high.

Tar

Oh, by the way, I have also incorporated push-ups, sit-ups and hand strengthening exercises into my daily routine and so far am following along well.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vogel's grip is unique. You shooting a Glock? I seem to recall reading about why he chose a Glock and his reasonings.

I would suggest not emulating a grip so much as figuring out what a good grip entails. It is hard to copy someone else's grip, especially with all the differences in people's hands and guns.

What constitutes a good grip?

What do we wish to accomplish with a grip?

What do different grips (think Vogel and any other high level competitor) have in common?

What do you wish to accomplish?

My grip has changed over the years. There was a time when I couldn't hit the mag release on my STI without STI's paddle extender thingy. My grip has changed so much, now I wonder how the heck was I gripping. As skills improve, your grip will change. At least mine has.

Through it all, my sights tracked straight up and down. Each iteration of my grip was accomplishing a grips intended purpose.

I suggest studying grips, applying one that works for you and your skill level, and let the shooting tell you the info you will need to make adjustments.

Bob Vogel has plenty of things to copy.

You don't want to have happy feet while drawing if the first target is visible, but if it is not you want to absorb the draw by stepping while drawing the gun. In short it depends on the situation, which is often the case with USPSA shooting.

Good luck on your venture.

Excellent suggestions, thanks Chris.

Yes, I'm shooting a Gen 3 G34, and I'm fairly similar in size and weight to Bob, and that is one of the reasons I look to his grip. Of course, he's young and fast and smart and immensely talented, but other than that... Did I say I'm similar size.. :)

I was watching a vid where he and several other shooters were taking turns shooting the same 1911. The gun recoiled noticeably less in his hands than in any of the other competitors. Were he shooting his own gun, his own ammo, it would be easy to say he has different equipment, etc., etc., but when they are all shooting the same gun with the same ammo, one has to assume it's him. I also like his explanation of his grip.

My own grip, I'm a blank slate. I have been shooting pistols for fun since the rocks cooled, but have never given grip much of a thought. Since starting idpa, I have come to realize how important grip and grip strength is and now understand some of the reasons I had mediocre times when I was doing a bit of plate and ipsc shooting way back.

Coach, yes, going to have to work on moving, shooting moving, reloading moving. :) I'm thinking it ALL needs a lot of work!

Tar

You ain't gonna go wrong listening to Coach, that's for sure. We don't call him Coach for nothing.

And yes, copying Vogel is good advice. I don't mean to say its not. In fact I try to emulate what I see myself.

I was just suggesting a thorough understanding of grip and application instead of a pure mimic approach. Vogel is known to have almost legendary hand strength. Working towards great hand strength like Vogel would be a great place to start.

You ain't gonna go wrong listening to Coach, that's for sure. We don't call him Coach for nothing.

And yes, copying Vogel is good advice. I don't mean to say its not. In fact I try to emulate what I see myself.

I was just suggesting a thorough understanding of grip and application instead of a pure mimic approach. Vogel is known to have almost legendary hand strength. Working towards great hand strength like Vogel would be a great place to start.

I'm currently working on exactly that. I practice by gripping a dollar bill as tight as I can, and hold it as long as I can. Well, you see, it's my last dollar until Friday, so I really do need to hold on to it!

All seriousness aside, I am working on hand strength diligently, as it's seems that is a key component of his recoil control, I'd guess, a key component in anyone's recoil control.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Great news today, my shooting buddy just picked up 2000 primers and I just found 2000 projectiles. That wraps up our component search and we are now within 2 weeks of reloading 9mm. This is going to be a big relief because tomorrow night will be the second match in a row I will miss because we just can't find any bullets!!! I am going to spend much of the time I would have been at the match doing dry fire and exercises.

Tar

Having a hard time getting up energy after work. Right now I'm welding, and doing a lot of heavy lifting and come end of work, I'm way low on energy. This is not going to get any easier in the next few weeks so I need to find some way of dealing with it.

Got in a good day today, in spite of having a horrendous day to deal with.

Bought a 20# dumbbell and got in 3 good sessions along with grip work and sit-ups.

Got in the prerequisite 15min dry fire.

Working on good grip form and awareness as well as slow motion draw and mag changes.

Working on getting the new mag seated before the old one hits the floor.

Working on bringing the support hand in early, just off my diaphragm.

Working on soft eye focus and bringing the pistol out toward the target so I can see the sights early before reaching the full extension position.

Worked on barricade shooting both L&R sides (slow motion)

And worked on calling the shots.

Next session going to start using the free online par timer for draws and mag changes.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Because of the ammo shortage, I'm concentrating on conditioning and dry fire work. We have been able to secure only 50 9mm round in 3 weeks of trying. But we have finally purchased all components, and now only need USPS to bring'em on down.

This week I'm thinking I can start to reload and will be able to get in some actual practice. I still have not been able to shoot off the clock at all, and I really need some time, just me and the target.

Noon, Happy Easter!!!

Got to do 25min dry fire with help from my silver Malinois (Ponca). Was able to pet him, draw at the beep/ fire 2; solid at 1.4 Rushed but within control most of the time.

Dry fire: Draw c 2 rounds: 1.4

Draw/ fire 2, /mag change fire 2: 3.3 (c no slide lock release) Hitting a clear well 70%

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Success isn't achieved by training on days you really feel like it, but rather, by acquiring the determination to train on days you really don't feel like training. Tar

Was quite tired last night after running errands post work, but managed to get in some physical training before bed. Dry fire is on the schedule tonight, as is more conditioning.

Ordered Mr. Anderson's book, and found something unusual, and I'm not sure of the cause. While looking for a good price, I came across people who were selling used copies for up to $400.00 What on earth?? Do some people just put a huge price on some random book and hope some fool will pay it???? Anyone know what's up with this???

Tar

Got in my first 40 min dry fire workout. Went by very fast, and had fun. Drop a mag, reload/slide release at 1.5 went well. Move/mag change in 2 steps (need more work). Faster draws, 1.0. Slow draws @1.5 and 2.0 Feeling grip start to cement with noted L thumb contact with slide locker.

Finished with conditioning, push-ups, sit-ups, gripper, and dumbbell work. Doing workouts with a heavy hammer at work. During off times I pick it up, grip it like a pistol and flex it up and down, also put the head on the welding table and press into the table.

Hope to shoot a USPSA match tomorrow night. It may be rained out, and if that is the case I think we will shoot Thurs in the idpa match.

Need a BLL base test.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Got in 45m of dry fire. practiced draws, both slow, 2.0 and faster 1.0 (1.4 feels comfortable now.) Smooth is fast. Fast is too many mistakes.

Practiced reload with slide release. 1.5 and 2.0

Got in some grip work.

Match tomorrow. First night shooting our reloads.

Match tonight. Oh boy... total destruction. Managed to do EVERYTHING wrong on every single stage. When I say everything I mean, EVERYTHING> Never had so many failures in such a short time in my entire life. Only thing I did right, was group well, but anything related to idpa was annihilated.

I feel dry fire is really helping my gun handling and shot placement, but not having shot in 3 weeks, not being grounded in rules and procedures of idpa is leaving me to try and find my way around a totally strange and completely black room. Would be very easy at this point to doubt myself and loose any confidence I have. But I'm not going to go there. I have always been good at shooting, in any form, and I don't believe the magic has left me for another port. I feel strongly that I have not been able to bring idpa into my second nature, and that is what i am lacking.

I will bring zen movement into my shooting. I will bring zen movement into my shooting. I will bring....

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

There are a couple of potential reasons for the melt down. I think best I can do is keep doing all the positive things I am doing, good workout routine, (going to add running this weekend) dry fire, positive thinking and experiment with the medical issues that may have contributed. Worst part is, I shot well, hit better than most of the other shooters, but had no brain to function with.

Something else that didn't help, I had somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-8 FTF's on the same night we started using our own reloads... The primers were obviously struck, but sans the standard oblong shape that a glock striker leaves. One shooter said it was likely a hydraulic issue as I have a tiny bit of oil in the striker tube. (It's actually a film of oil, there are no actual drops) I think the more likely reason is that I'm running a light striker spring with a factory striker. I need to go back to the standard striker spring with the standard striker and see if the FTF's don't go away.

I actually feel better already from working out. I have more energy and a good, positive outlook in spite of the challenges life is currently heaping out.

A 3 gun shoot is in the schedule for me this weekend. I'm going to change the striker spring, quit the med I am taking and see if things don't improve.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Had a very painful flair-up of carpel tunnel syndrome in my Left hand about 4-5 weeks ago. The tx I have been using has had good results and currently there is minimal px and only slight paresthesia. Hoping the meds I was taking for this have contributed to the match problems Thurs, and that continuing the direction I am on will yield good results. Quite frustrating doing so poorly, because I know I am much better than the results I am currently getting.

It is going to be a great experience, pushing through these very difficult early problems to end up with excellent results.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Continuing the program of physical conditioning. Amazing how much better I feel than when I started, stronger, more energy, increased positive outlook. I continue to do push-ups, sit-ups, dumbbell work, and grip strengthening. Dry fire has been harder to come by but I did get in 30min last night. Worked on slow motion draw, slow mag changes, tactical mag changes. Didn't use a timer at all, just worked on being smooth and making the motions I think work. All done at about 1/3 speed.

On a side note, I finally got a hair cut! Feels SO much better. Very tired of looking like a ragbag and wearing a hat to cover my long hair. Bought some new jeans, couple of t-shirts from good will, and 2 new pair of shoes from Burlington Coat Factory. Managed to find the exact pair of Sketchers I was looking for to replace the ones my room mate's dog ate and all at a great price. Was 1/2 price cloths day at Good Will so I got a work shirt too. Amazing how nice if feels to have some new cloths. I think it will make a difference in my shooting too. Going to wear my skeet vest for the next shoot. All positive changes.

Had to replace the light striker spring with the stock one to try and eliminate the FTF's. Increased the trigger pull quite a bit. I'd guess nearly a pound. Trigger also feels like it has a bit longer pull. Haven't documented it, but that is my impression. Really need the lightened striker so I can put the light spring back in. Glockworx price increase to $80 won't help... think I can do it this Friday. At least we have an ample supply of ammunition. Spent a couple of hours loading 9ml and have about 500 now.

Got my Korean mag. Not sure of the quality, had trouble loading it the first night so using it as a spare. Also a friend gave me a mag he had acquired. He did not even remember where it came from and he had no use for it so he passed it on to me.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Changed the sights, again. Didn't like the original Glock sites, so got some Sev's. However I found that since I'm mostly shooting indoors right now and in moderate lighting conditions, they were too dark. Went back to the original sites, and could see them much better but still don't like them much. Gave the Sev's another try. This time I outlined the rear site aperture in reflective pin stripes, and painted the front site day glow orange. Thursday I'll see how that works out. Last option for these sites is, if I still have trouble picking up the front site, I can make the front site reflective red.

Tar

Changed the sights, again. Didn't like the original Glock sites, so got some Sev's. However I found that since I'm mostly shooting indoors right now and in moderate lighting conditions, they were too dark. Went back to the original sites, and could see them much better but still don't like them much. Gave the Sev's another try. This time I outlined the rear site aperture in reflective pin stripes, and painted the front site day glow orange. Thursday I'll see how that works out. Last option for these sites is, if I still have trouble picking up the front site, I can make the front site reflective red.

OK, now this is starting to live up to the tar baby name.

OK, now this is starting to live up to the tar baby name.

:)

Got in a good upper body work out, and 40 min of dry fire. S. Anderson's book arrived today and I was quick to incorporate it in to my paractice session.

Practiced moving in a square while shooting.

Calling my shot from the draw

Tac reloads

Picking up a good grip during the draw

Releasing the slide immediately after inserting a new mag, while the pistol is still tilted over. (not as is my tendency, bringing the pistol up on target then releasing the slide.)

Worked all practice at a moderate pace, thinking form is more important right now to me than is speed.

Trying hard to get up the guts to shoot an "all Alpha" night, for the Thursday night match. Funny, I look at these matches as if I had something to loose, or as if something were at stake. I think a better point of view is to look at them as a great place to try out different strategies and techniques, while there is nothing at stake and nothing to loose...

Noted that the taller front site has me needing to be a bit more careful bringing the pistol on target because I have been practicing with the shorter stock sights.

Need much more work on shooting on the move without disturbing the sights.

Just a quick post it note as it's late and had to come home to barking dogs and pi$$ed apartment neighbors, and of course I can't blame them one bit. I except full responsibility and vow to do better next time. I just hope I'm not evicted which would make life even a greater challenge than it presently is, and believe me when I say, it's a challenge now...

Finally had some success. Finally didn't shoot like someone with one of Ben Stoeger's lost flip flops... never mind. I think the world of idpa has been hard for me. I'm thinking I might be more suited to uspsa kind of shoot. But none the less, I'm having a great time, and feeling very good about shooting a G34. Liked the new sights, though I didn't call the shots as well as I had with the white dot front sight, but my groups were quite good. Even took a big gamble on the last stage and shot all head shots and shot it clean. Even with two of the 5 targets, walking backwards, 3 shots each, and made them all head shots. And if that wasn't enough, also had a very respectable stage time and this in spite of a fumbled mag change which probably added 2 seconds.

Very rewarding seeing a slight glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel in my shooting. Of course I have more than 1000 miles to go, but I have seen the work I'm putting in pay off. I don't think I would have had nearly as good a night sans dry fire and physical conditioning, and it adds fuel to the fire to keep it burning.

I am content with the sights for now.

Really want to go back to the light striker spring, but realize it will take the lightened striker to make that happen and that will take some saving. Perhaps I will be able to order it next week, perhaps not, time will tell.

The shooting community for the most part has been excellent. I did have one "gentleman" call my profession and me a "quack." Shooting buddy was surprised I didn't get in his face about it. I don't want to make waves in the club, and people are entitled to their opinion. I didn't believe in Chiropractic either before I saw it work on me. So how can I fault him for not believing? I have found those people also make the best patients and advocates when they finally come in after trying everything else and getting no results. Besides, I am quite sure no amount of anamosety will convince him Chiropractic works.

I am in the camp that thinks life's lessons come to us again and again until we learn what it is that life is trying to teach us or we die. That is my belief and I'm entitled to it :)

Shooting in a comp Sunday. Going to put in a very solid day tomorrow, conditioning, dry fire, and visualization. I expect success. :)

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Got in 30 min of mostly tac reload. Noticed at the shoot Thurs that only 1 or 2 were able to do a tac reload in under 3 sec, which was the penalty time for just doing a normal mag change. Several went 5 or more seconds. Was able to hit a couple in 2.5 but am very inconsistent.

Went to a:

Pull old mag

Sweep shirt back (shirt stays)

Stow mag in pocket

Draw new mag and insert.

Thurs and many times today I grabbed the mag and shirt at the same time. Thurs it caused me to drop the mag and have to go for the backup mag.

Going to practice this a lot more. It is probably the weakest thing I do right now. That means I practice it until it becomes the strongest thing I do.

Looking for a vest. Armadillo is very nice but long wait time. Going to try the ebay route and see what I can find. Have spent hours looking at vests on ebad... Ugggg

Got in 2 good sets of push-ups and found they were much easier today. Resisting sit-ups, which must mean i really need them!!!@ Also did two good dumbbell sets. Some have told me I look stronger. Hallucinations are scary!!! :)

5:30 Got in another dumbbell set and more push-ups. Doing a lot of grip strengthening work while I watch shooting videos. (That Vogel is fast!!!) Also fooled myself into doing sit-ups. Uggg. Ruff... Need to do a lot more I guess. I know from past experience that people like doing the exercises they are strong in, and don't like doing the ones they are weak in, so...

Very ready for the shoot tomorrow. Have food, ice, Gator Aid, ammo, suntan lotion, and a positive attitude. The work is paying off. I will never again be as bad as I was when I started. (Thank God!!)

Edited by Sleepswithdogs