Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tar Baby's Range Diary

Sleepswithdogs

Who was it that said, "old habits die hard," this is undoubtedly their fault!!! After a terrible week of being exhausted, not just tired, but demolished tired, that I attribute to 2 consecutive days of dmsa over last weekend, and the heavy work schedule, I am finally recovering. I have returned to 70% but have not yet resumed exercise. I'm wanting to learn to do SOME exercise no matter how tired I am, but old habits to die hard! I will accomplish this starting today. Come rain or shine, tired, full, hungry, lazy, busy, I will accomplish this.

I don't care if it's 1 sit-up, 1 push-up, but I'm gonna' do something every day!

Sit-ups: 50 (and I call that sweet VICTORY!)

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really happy for another day of rest, house cleaning, and working on my truck. Just general getting life together. Made Lasagna and 2 cheese cakes yesterday, and today enjoying the Ruby Red and going to go to the pool. What does this have to do with shooting, well, IMO one cannot shoot 100% if ones life is a mess.

Cleaned the 34 today. It was hardly dirty, just needed a little oil. Have heard someone complain that tight group is a dirty powder, but that is definitely not my experience. Seems clean enough to eat off of after 300 rounds. However, I notice now there is play at the posterior end of the barrel when the slide is locked up, so I think it's time for the high tec, barrel locker. This could also be the cause of my larger shooting groups. Of course, it's most likely me! :) This play is new, as last time I checked the barrel locked securely with the slide closed.

Going to get in some dryfire and exercise today.

Push-ups: 10x1,

Sit-ups: 100x2

Am enjoying keeping up with some other diary's, Micha's and Esther come to mind first. Of course, Ben Stoeger, BSeevers, Mandi, fourtrax, Steve Anderson, and a few others too.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

I don't care if it's 1 sit-up, 1 push-up, but I'm gonna' do something every day!

Solid plan. Good habit building.

Thanks Flex. :cheers:

Tuesday, 5.28: Push-ups. 15x1 (hard to start but I got there) 25x1, 10x1

Sit-ups: 100x1

Wednesday: Ruby Red 1,

Sit-ups: 100x1

Push-ups: 25x1

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Thurs: Evening match

Sit-ups: 50x1

Push-ups:10x1

The match didn't go well. I am still not seeing the sights well, but I am beginning to think the gun has developed a problem. Originally the barrel was tight in the slide with the slide locked up. But recently, there is now play and the posterior end of the barrel can be pushed down quite a bit even when the slide is all the way locked up. One of the guys at the match looked at it and said the spring on the barrel lock was too weak. Going to replace the spring and also get a laser cut barrel lock and see if the accuracy doesn't improve.

I did get 1 procedural for cover. I positioned myself back from the cover. Would like to see it on vid, as I don't think was was uncovered, but I really don't know. Thinking everyone else puts their wrists against the cover, and I chose to be back a foot or so from the barricade. I think they just aren't use to seeing people take this position, but I really don't know for sure.

I had 2 mikes on head shots. This is quite different from a couple of weeks ago when I had no trouble at the same distances making 3 in a row. I am going to try my shooting buddies 34 and see if my accuracy returns. That should tell me if it is me or the gun.

Friday: Was really tired from work, but after a little food and a bit of rest found myself wanting to exercise!

Sit-Ups: 50x1

Sat: Sit-ups: 50x1, 100x2, 70x1, 30x1

Push-ups: 30x1, 25x1, 25x1, 20x1

Met Tracy for lunch. Very nice. We talked for nearly 3hrs.

Filling in the hole. I am likely not going to be able to practice tonight with my shooting buddy. Likely not going to be able to shoot the plate match tomorrow. Likely not going to be able to shoot the match next Thurs but I'm going to keep working out, and keep dry firing. Sooner or later, I'm going to get a chance to shoot, and I will be just that much better. In that much better shape. and just that much more comfortable with idpa.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Mon: Sit-ups: 100x2

Push-ups: 15x1, 25x1

Really felt both of those. Lifting a lot of heavy weight at work, and so I think the muscles aren't getting enough time to rebuild.

Yes, missed both the practice and steel shoot, and will likely miss the Thurs night shoot also.

Finally felt 100% today. Going to accomplish my goal, one push-up, and one sit-up. :surprise: No big lofty workout, no grueling task. My goal is reachable, and while I'm at it, if more "turn up," while I'm down there, that's just fine too.

It's late for me, I'm tired, long, hard day. So glad my goal is attainable!

Push-ups: 30

Sit-ups: 100

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Wed: Made a decision today to sell my AR. Stupid me hanging on to it, 3g is a sport, a hobby, I need to get back to Doctor work and this cash will send me on my way. Once I have my TX license, I'll be able to build another one anyway. So there it is, decision made.

Thurs: Missed the evening match. When I got up today I was so tired I could hardly move. Called work and came in 3 hrs late. First time I've been late this year, but I was so tired. I must have caught some bug, as I wasn't up late, and even though I Maggie woke me at 3:58am, to go out, I was able to sleep another hour till the alarm went off, but just couldn't get up. By the end of the day I was too tired to lift the last landing off the jig, left it for tomorrow. I already feel a bit better. Actually fell asleep last night before I could do even my modest 1 push-up and 1 sit-up. There will be another match next week, and I'll be ready for that one. Came home from work, ate and laid down until Maggie insisted on dinner at 8pm. Feel good enough now to get in my exercises tonight before bed.

Push-ups: 3x1

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Friday: Feeling better today, not 100%, but better.

Push-ups: 3 (Shoulders feeling pretty ruff. The landings are quite heavy when complete and it takes a lot to get them off the jig.)

Sit-ups: 1

Sat: Continuing to improve. Fell asleep at 7:30pm, and didn't awaken until Sunday 8:30am. Didn't get in any exercise.

Sun: Feeling OK now, but a bit of a headache. Going to get in something of a workout today. Guess the Thurs match was a bug/low light match. Didn't get to shoot, need to save for the new place.

Push-ups: 25x4

Waiting to long in the day for exercise.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Mon: Sit-ups: 3

Push-Ups: 1

Tues: Sit-ups: 100x5

Grip work:15m.(noted reduction in grip strength from previous sessions.)

push-ups: 2 (shoulders/arms very tired and 5/10 px from work)

Wed: No push-ups: Letting shoulders and L bicep heal. Finished the last of those damn landings. Those bad boys are too heavy!!! Probably clean some metal tomorrow, start on railings soon. They are much lighter and easier to assemble. Got pretty good at long running weld. Match tomorrow. Going to borrow roommates G34 to see how my accuracy is with his gun. This should let me know if it's me or the equipment. Before I was able to call my shots pretty well. Since the trouble started I haven't been able to call any shots at all. Lost a sale on the table today because I couldn't get in roommates warehouse to get more pics last weekend. Buyer went with a local table for more $$! At least I think if I push ahead I can get a sale before I have to move and that will put me back on the road to great improvements. Going to start dry fire as soon as I'm in a new place.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Thurs: Match: It was me. Grouped well with roommates gun, and he grouped well with mine. He did notice that the rear sight was off and we adjusted it before he shot it. so conceivably it could have been the sights, but I'm thinking that I'm just making some of the classic mistakes, not seeing the sights, trying to go to fast. His G34 is a gen 4, and I really dislike the mag release, it seems much harder to hit than my gen 3. Cost me a several seconds on one stage when I couldn't get the mag to drop free and I had to peal it out of the well. Shot the last stage well. I seem to do much better on the, "just move and blast away" stages than I do on the stages that need a lot of planning. Was able to just clean metal today and didn't have to lift anything heavy. Shoulders and L bicep feel better already. Going to start working out on machines after work, likely start tomorrow. Very concerned about finding new place. REALLY need to sell my extra table. Would so improve my life.

Fri: Really enjoyed the match. Shot well on 2 stages, but shot slow on the other 2. Don't really know where I'm loosing time. I know the gen 4 mag button blew one stage, but not sure what happened on the other. I really would like to see myself on video so I can understand where I need improvement. Nice group of people. Getting there is hard, traffic sucks, hope I can continue to shoot here. Really would like the ability to run through a stage several times to be able to tweak my performance and pick up speed. Heard one of the local pros gives a class. Going to check into it and see what's up.

Sat: Haven't worked out since Wed. Building landings was tearing me down and happy for the time to heal. L bicep and L elbow are much improved. Can raise arm over head s px. Will resume workout today. Would have been wise to continue sit-ups, but guess I'm not feeling that wise. Will correct that today. Went back to a 13# spring. Roommate shooting a 15# and it felt OK so went up 2#. Likely when I start using Unique I can tune the load a bit better and come back down. I need to find a chronograph.

Today is a big day for me. Have many life adjustments to make, and starting that program today.

Sit-ups: 100x3

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Mon: Life keeps getting in the way!!! Going to start working out after work tomorrow. Will take extra cloths and go to the gym, shower, then work out. Really looking forward to getting in some leg training. L bicep still is giving me problems, both at the origin and insertion. This from lifting those heavy landings off the gig.

Tues: Forgot the extra cloths. Going to workout at home again. Did a bit of dry fire today and found one problem, I've gone back to the "soft" L arm s knowing it. Worked on really locking in the L arm. Think the 13# spring is going to be just fine. Also worked on a different "show clear." Going over the top with L hand revels the chamber better.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Wed: Got a tiny piece of a grinding wheel stuck in my eye today at work. Must have gotten under my safety glasses as I was grinding. Have to go in tomorrow and get it taken out. Hope this doesn't interfere with tomorrows match. Really looking forward to shooting.

Thurs: Got a parrot to go with my new patch. Was a lot bigger piece than I had thought and had already started to rust. I'm home tonight not at the match. On the bright side I get to watch game 7, that is, if that damn parrot doesn't object!

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Fri: Push-ups: 11 Feeling well enough to do a little exercise.

Sat: Missing another match. Going to do some dry fire to keep up. Eye not feeling great. Couldn't get the antibiotic that was prescribed. L eye feeling a little funny. Sort of like it's dry. Didn't get in the dry fire like I wanted to.

Sit-ups: 100x5

Push-ups: 25x6

Sun: Taking a step up in diet. Reading protein, especially in the am helps loose fat and builds muscle so eating Greek Yogurt, eggs, stuff high protein in the am. Had a healthy lunch today, avocado, tomato, olives and pickled cumbers.

L bicep seems to be healing well. Only gave me a little px yesterday when I was going push-ups. Not sure about eye, it itches a bit. Could mean healing, or could mean an infection starting and I don't know which. Guess time will tell. Monday will try and get work to pay for the antibiotics I need.

Monday: Times says, infection. Shop better come through with the $$ for some antibiotics today, or I think my eye is going to get into some real trouble.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Monday: Yea. After much struggle with CVS Pharm, and with the help of the shop I was finally able to get the antibiotics for my eye. It is quite soothing and I think, will help immensely.

Moving into a new place this week. This will let me begin dry fire as much as I like. :) Should be quite an adventure. Not sure about how I will get to the range yet, my truck is old and gets very poor gas millage. I'm hoping something will turn up. I have a spare crankshaft that will bring the 318 up to 377, but know the rings and valve guides are also in poor shape. Not quite sure which way to go yet but I will figure it out. You usually can't just drop in new rings as the old ones often leave quite a deep wear in the bore which needs to be returned to round and of the appropriate size. The block could really use being boiled too. Am tempted to put in the crank with new rod and mains, as I know the rod bearings are just ready to go. Perhaps rebuild the bottom end, boil the block, new crank, cam, timing set, freeze plugs, rod and mains. I could rebuild the top end at another date. That doesn't do much for the rings though. Guess I'll figure it out somehow.

Have put in my request to the universe to send me a Dillon 650. Hope the universe is feeling generous. I have some projects in mind that might bring this along, but first priority is getting my vocation back on track. Also looking to swap triggers, and thinking of a way to mount a laser on my 34 for dry fire practice. If memory serves I have one in my storage unit that use to be on my mini-14. Hope it's still there and still in working order.

Push-ups: 25

Sit-ups: 100

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Wed: Not going to make the match tomorrow night. Hopefully moving into a new place and also been invited out to watch a friend take a big step up in the Masons.

Very stressful right now, moving, not sure where to, in Texas, when its just going to start hitting 100, and my truck quit twice on the way home from work this afternoon. Had to pull to the right though heavy traffic to make it to the side of the road. Talk about HOT!!. Going to swap out an electronic part and hope that fixes it. The computer shows it failing, but there are several components in the link, I'm just hoping this one is the culprit. Breaking down on a very busy highway with 4 large dogs in my truck and its 100 out... Sure recipe for disaster.

If i get the new place it will allow me to dry fire as much as I like. Also more opportunities for making more income which will help me get back into my vocation faster. If this falls through I'll likely grab all I can pack in the truck, take the dogs and head for Florida. Lived there a long time and more comfortable with that state. Should have just enough gas money to get there. I'd eventually like to practice there anyway. Things will get better, this is hopefully, just the dark before the dawn.

Wednesday Continued: Had a call from someone in my profession just about an hour ago. I had been negotiating with him about a year or so ago concerning my coming to work for him, then I got injured and had a couple of failed operations which totally got me off track. As it would be, he recently had his associate leave and move to open his own practice so he has an opening. This weekend he and I are going to discuss my coming to work for him in his clinic. This would entail a move to West Texas. It is possible it could be almost immediately.

Thurs: The best laid plans of mice and men... Truck broke down on the way home from work again. This time it felt fatal. I put in a new IAC unit before I left work, so I knew now that was not the problem. So much for computer codes!! Went back to old school, pulled the coil wire and found no spark, hoofed it down to the parts store in100 degree happiness, and just managed to get a new one. Came back to the truck parked on the side of a very busy highway, and put it in. Fired right up, this may have been the problem. However from the IAC swap the idle is so high, it's effecting the torque converter on the highway which also feels like the engine cutting out when I let off the gas. Going to try and adjust the IAC an see if all my worldly problems don't miraculously disappear! Missed shooting, missed my friends Mason ceremony, nearly fainted from the "vapors" it was so hot, but I survived all and made it home once again. Thank you God!! :) Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Sat: 1/2 moved. Expect to sleep in the new place Sunday night. Needs much cleaning, building, painting, etc.

Believe I'm going to have to put in a new plenum gasket and think sooner rather than later is better. Likely going to make my own aluminum plenum plate rather than pay the $120 for the Hughes kit. Don't know what in the world ever possessed Dodge to put a steel plate attached to the bottom of an aluminum manifold. Didn't they get the memo about dissimilar metals?

Sit-ups: 100x5

Sun: Had a good interview with a fellow that owns a clinic and he's looking for an associate. It went well and he wants me to come visit his clinic so we can further discuss our mutual goals etc. Have a bunch of stuff moved in to the new place, but it sure isn't home yet, not by a long shot. At least the dogs will have just a little room to stretch their legs. This week will be a big one for me, have a lot of things to do that are apparently outside of my comfort zone.

Got in a very short leg workout at the gym. This is going to be big for me, my legs really need it.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Friday, 7.5 Finally a bit moved in. Need to paint the kitchen and bathrooms. Found out where the HD is at, and am headed that way for paint.  Have a LOT of cleaning to do. The building is pre 1934, and I think, much is original. Have been neglecting my dry fire and workouts. Going to start working out tonight.

Sat: Move has been an exercise in patience. I have 1/2 of everything I need; I have food and pots and pans, but no stove. I have a mop and soap, but no bucket, nothing even resembling a bucket. I have one flip-flop, on and on and on. I have sausages, charcoal and a grill, but no chimney and the grill only has 2 layers, not 3, so when I tried to put the charcoal on the paper, the coal smothered the paper. Took me at least an hour to get the charcoal burning last night. I'm overwhelmed by what needs to be done here. Thinking of building a new kitchen cabinet, (there isn't one) and the counter doesn't have a drawer for silverware or a place for a stove. I have a washer and dryer, but there is no place to put one, inside or outside of the building unless I put up a shed. No 220 power unless I take power from the box and run a line, and the only water faucet is on the outside, and opposite side of the building. I have razorblades but can't find the razor handle. The previous tenant took all the light bulbs, every single one, and the shower head. I think she was actually using the shower for a mop bucket by the layer of debris and scum in the shower. I actually like it here but don't know how to solve all these problems. Guess the only way is one at a time, it's just that there are so many!

This is a range diary, but there are so many things preventing me from going to the range right now. They impact my shooting, not only on superficial levels but also on very deep levels. I learned long ago that our home life/personal life greatly influences the way we perform in sporting events. If your home life/personal life is unsettled it will likely lead most to a poor performances in sport; i.e., Tiger Woods during his troubles couldn't hit a golf ball to save his life. Today, with a new relationship and things settled, he is back on top.

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Sun: Starting to get some dry fire in, and starting to get back to working out. Have so much cleaning to do. I'm doing dry fire and workouts while I let the floor dry from mopping etc. (ended up using a large trash can for a bucket) The floor was so dirty I think I could have planted flowers on it, and that goes for everything else in the little flat.

Find my mag changes have lost a lot since I haven't been practicing, but my L arm isn't as "soft" as it had gotten. I'm working real hard on making it higher than my R in shooting position, and making it an unconscious thing. Hope to shoot a match Thurs. It will be great to get back to actual shooting.

• 2 months later...

Well, quite some water under the bridge! (No offense Colorado! :)

I moved into my own place and have but up some targets so am doing a fair bit of dry fire. Continue a light push-up, sit-up schedule but am ramping it up this week. Shot a match a week ago Wed. Came out in the upper 1/3 with only one brain fade, and it was on the next to last stage. I have to remember I'm getting tired at the end of a work night match! Had fun on the last stage. I was the only shooter out of 44 to clean the last stage!

Shot with 147's for the first time behind Tight Group. That gun was made for'em. Was the best it ever felt for me, and I'm still not satisfied with the trigger after one guy at the range showed me his 34 with a different brand trigger. It was much soother and lighter than mine, and mine is improved.

Don't think Vogel is sitting up at night worrying about my progress, :) but I'm having fun and that's what it's all about for me.

Really enjoying the dry fire work right now. I only do... 10 - 15 minutes a day, so not enough to get bored, and it lets me see if my trigger control or picture acquisition is lacking. I continue to do push-ups and sit-ups along with some dumbbell work. Hope to be getting back in my profession real soon so I will have both more time and more money to shoot.

Going to chrono some 147's with Unique this week. I have a lot of it, and thought I'd give it a try. Was thinking somewhere around 4.2grains. I really like the 147's, they make all the difference in the world.

Met a very interesting lady. Not sure how this will turn out. I need to do quite a few life changes and meeting someone in the middle of things isn't easy. Not easy to change one's life. Some do it, most are unable. I'm not all that young, and been doing what I do for a long time, but I'm not satisfied with where I'm at any more than I'm satisfied with the quality or frequency of my shooting. So, time for some changes... Here I go...

Go Dolphins!!!!

To quote our mutual friend; "So which is harder, overcoming gobbling or making GM?" Which is harder changing your life or living the life our choices have brought us? Does it matter? Is there a real answer? I'm not sure there is a real answer and all in all I don't even know if it matters which is harder. Both are hard, Changing one's life is nearly impossible judging by the number of suicides. Making GM is also extremely hard judging by the number of shooters who shoot their first idpa or uspsa match against those who make gm.

The process; first must come the recognition that something we are doing is not working. Then the understanding that what comes to us is brought by our choices and is ours, completely ours. Next hill that must be climbed to see what's on the other side is actually making a change. It is more comfortable to live in whatever situation our choices has brought to us, whether it's living the life of drink, or living the life of binge, or living the life of a bad marriage or living the life of shooting in the bottom of the pack, or even the life of luxury that does not fulfill... They all belong to us, even more so than the dog that lies at our feet.

With regards to shooting, some I believe lack either the mental dexterity or the physical dexterity to reach high levels. These must give up the goal to reach gm, or give up shooting, or reach the understanding that the joy of their journey may be more important than actually reaching the goal. However with regard to changing ones life... There is no such escape. There are only the haves and the have not's. The do's and the do not's. While the journey may not even be fun, but rather more painful than a root canal, in proportion the destination holds untold pleasures. Like the Zen story of the monk hanging by his fingers 300 feet above raging waters. The tiger waiting above for him to climb up... The wild strawberry he finds growing from the jagged rock is the best he ever ate. The pleasures of one instant of that life chiseled, or wrenched, or scratched with raw bloodied hands from the black rock hard surface of our old life is the best we have ever tasted. At that clear instant of knowledge our Lord may snatch us from this life, having tasted the strawberry, having found the man behind the curtain there is scant reason to remain less it be, to become the road for the next traveler.

To live in ignorance is not bliss for at our deepest levels we all see through the curtain, and are left with only two choices, like a chocolate bar in the hands of a small child standing in the summer sun, to devourer it all now, or to wear the stain all the way home.

So which is harder... If there is a difference between one or the other, perhaps the question might be read, which is more valuable?

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been able to get in any shooting as of late, this for several reasons:

First, nearly all my mental effort and much of my physical effort is going into getting my professional license. It is taking every single penny I have and then some. I expect to be eating Ramon noodles for at least 2 weeks, (again...) and am still a little short. Need to pick up some extra work somehow, and it's crunch time. I can't wait, for regulatory reasons, and can't fully move ahead being short financially, and this is putting me between a rock and a hard place. Of course triggering all the security and control issues I can muster.

My truck is giving me trouble. I hit a curb last summer, and severely threw my front end out of alignment ruining the tire and this needed to be taken care of. Got a tire the other day and going to align the front end this weekend. Also I had the great idea to flush my radiator. Unfortunately all I was able to accomplish was flushing all the gunk out of the block, and into the radiator where it proceeded to clog the thing up terribly and having all my cash tied up in getting my license, my solution is just drive to work and back which it is able to do, thankfully. On the positive side the engine computer is now functionally properly since the temp here has dropped below 90. Before, when it was around 100 the engine would quit every day on my way home leaving me sitting on the side of the highway for about 20-30 min until the computer cooled enough to get the engine started again. Fall has bought me some time to handle this issue until more $$ comes in and I can fix it or get a new car.

Had to do some grinding for a day and a half at work, and this has my right hand and wrist so sore I can barely open or close my right hand. Have lost about 90% of strength in my R hand until the inflammation subsides. Was unable to open a can with my R hand tonight, too much px too weak. Work tomorrow is going to be fun! Uggg. Oh well, I bought the ticket, I'll take the ride.

Lastly, my bud that I was shooting with has some personal issues and isn't shooting right now. He was using his equipment to do our loading so I am ammo-less until I can get my own loading equip, or he returns to shooting. Doesn't matter anyway as all my cash is tied up in getting my license and I couldn't afford the range or match fees anyway!

So where does that leave me... Doing some dry fire and starting this week, after all my license components are assembled and mailed, I'm going to start working out at a gym close to work that I have access to.

Sometimes when you are paddling, the tide is coming your way. On those occasions holding steady in the stream and not getting pushed back is the best that can be done. Then later when the tide changes again, head up stream like a bat out of hell! Right now I'm just marking time until I can take off and really move ahead.

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs