Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stainless X5 vs X5 Tactical balance

Obsucrem

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to handle both stainless and alloy framed X5s to check out how they balance and handle from target to target. I think a heavy stainless gun would rock for follow up shots and stability on longer shots but coming from a background of shooting polymer guns and alloy Sigs I wonder if it would slow me down a bit on the transitions. My 226 is the heaviest gun I've ever owned (34ish oz). I've already got a WG 226 that I love for shooting IDPA SSP and USPSA production but I'm looking for something to be somewhat of a dedicated 3 Gun pistol. X5 All around or the Tactical would be the likely choices. I'm fine with DA/SA but I don't think they make an alloy X5 that's anything other than SAO. Also does anyone know if there is a way to just get ahold of an an X5 slide?

Your input is appreciated!

Jaxshooter, you are correct. X5 slides will not fit standard P 226 frame. I've put my X5 Comp model slide on one of my standard P226's and the dust cover isn't long enough. It exposes the guide rod spring.

However, a standard P226 slide works just fine on X5 frame. Works on both my X5 All Around and X5 Comp.

Can an SAO X5 Tactical be converted to DA/SA? I've not heard of an SAO to DA/SA conversion, although DA/SA to DAK or DAO and vice-versa are commonly done.

Edited by JAFO

Can an SAO X5 Tactical be converted to DA/SA? I've not heard of an SAO to DA/SA conversion, although DA/SA to DAK or DAO and vice-versa are commonly done.

I've not found any definitive answers on this one either. I went and fondled an X5 All Around Safe Queen trade in at the LGS. Balance was good and still felt agile for its weight. Took that as a sign and put half down on it. Hopefully I'll have it in my safe as soon as I unload some old unused gear =)

2010 manufacture so I'm hoping and that I dodge the bullet with extractions issues... I guess I'll find out for sure soon.

Good luck with your new acquisition. My FFL has a new Allround on order for me through Mastershop Distributing, but I haven't heard anything regarding my wait time yet.

Good luck with your new acquisition. My FFL has a new Allround on order for me through Mastershop Distributing, but I haven't heard anything regarding my wait time yet.

Well my friend I hope it goes well for us. This gun feels amazing but for this kind of cash I'm hoping we dodge extractor nightmares... only one way to find out.

If you do have extractor problems with the X-5 All Around 9mm contact Bruce Gray at www.grayguns.com. Definitely one of the best Sig Armorers in the business. Bruce has come up with an extractor fix for the problems associated with the X-5 All Around 9mm extractor.

But as you said, hopefully you dodge the extractor nightmares and it's good to go.

I don't think the X-5 slide will fit a standard 226 frame. I know the 226 22 rimfire conversion slides will not go on an X-5 frame. I am sure you can find out on the Sig Forum.

The slide from my All Around fits my 226 and works. Yes it has some guide rod exposure and I only tried it once to see but it ran fine. The 226 slide works on the All Around frame although it too looks odd. And my 226 22LR conversion works on my All Around just fine. I do have to run better quality 22LR ammo when on the AA but that is probably due to the lighter action not giving hard enough hits.

Craig