Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sear engagement

Greg G

Hey all, I have a custom built STI and have had a heap of trouble with it doubling and following to the half cock notch ... best trigger pull I can get is about 3 lbs I would like it closer to 2. Anyway, I have had a look at the sear and it has marks in the surface that engages the hammer hooks about half way in, these marks match the hammer hooks perfectly. The hammer hooks seem to be the correct length at 20 thou. Are these marks normal or is the sear/hammer engagement wrong and needs to be fixed? To me it seems that the hammer/sear are not square and are not mating up correctly

The gunsmith that built it has already replaced the hammer, sear and disconnector and looked at the pistol about 4 times. I am losing faith. One thing I did notice is when the smith cut the sear he did not use external hammer and sear pins onlya jig.

I've been reading this forum for a while and have heard of better results with off the shelf components. Maybe I should bite the bullet and get an SV tri-glide trigger kit and an EGW sear drop em in and see what happens.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16374

Greg,

Check out the above post. Myself and some others have had this problem for a while. We are experienced shooters and nobody can seem to fix or even figure out what the problem is. I don't know what your shooting style is, but that could be contributing to the problem.

You may want to try Brazos' drop in trigger kit. I recently bought one but haven't installed it yet.

Welcome to hell!!!!!!!!!!! :) Sorry for the negativity but I've been fighting this for over a year.

As much as this is coming up, we should be able to raise the awareness enough to get some help. I know of many more guns that are doing this now, and some were built by really famous custom smiths. If it is a technique issue, I will be glad to change if I can. I can't imagine trying to slow down in a sport where speed is definately rewarded.

I shot with GM John Hill at Area 1. He shoots a Caspian Limited gun because all his different hammer/sear combos from different gunsmiths followed in his modular gun(s). He attributed it to flexing the trigger bow through the grip. I think he mentioned Travis T. had the same problem.

I experienced a similar problem, but the hammer would fall all the way...not stop at half cock, but it wouldn't fire twice...I'd just have a hammer down on a loaded chamber.

It happened in a match when I was firing weak hand only, and it happened during practice when I tried to shoot as rapidly as possible (and was shooting splits around .15). I could reproduce it in dry fire by canting the gun to the right while holding it weak handed, and pulling back firmly on the trigger.

I gave it to a gunsmith, who adjusted the sear spring a bit, and now the problem seems to have gone away (though I've only shot about 200 rounds since).

I hope it doesn't recur.

DD

Thanks for the thread SmittyFL, seems to be more common than I first thought =(

I saw a post before about some S_I triggers also being different lengths, I had a gunsmith blank fitted with a curved face for an extra long trigger and I'm wondering if that also may be contributing to it.. I guess I will just have to keep trying.