Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure to fully feed .223 round from second mag after mag change

Highsider989

Yesterday I encounterd a strange feeding issue with my new stag3g.

I would empty a mag, change mag and the first round would partially feed. The bolt would lock back fully and after inserting the mag I would release the bolt, I have a bad lever, that's when the round would partially feed after empty mag, bolt locked back, change mag, releasing bolt to strip the first round from the new mag. Using the forward assist several times would feed the round and lock the bolt. Runs fine from there, no FTE or FTF.

I have a Troy designs ambi mag release installed also. Gun is cleaned and lubed with CLP and running a bit wet. I'm shooting pmc .223 55gr, new brass from pmags. I did just spray a bit of CLP in the buffer tube so next time I'll see if that makes a difference. The rifle has perhaps 100 rounds through it. And has been perfect other than this issue yesterday.

I've read many posts on ar feeding issues but none really cover this. any ideas.

Does it happen everytime you try to load from slide lock?(first mag, every mag) you need to try it with every mag. You have try all mags to eliminate a mag issue. If it happens with all mags then it might be your mag release, make sure it is installed correctly, I am not familiar with your release. If it is not either of these then I would remove all your mods and try it. If it still does it, back to the manufacturer with it, have them fix it. Also It is prudent to test fire a weapon before and after every mod and this will prevent the guessing about what is wrong. I also run my ARs very wet, prevents a lot of issues

Edited by 3gungeezer

Before you load that second mag look at the position if the first cartridge. A lot of times, particularly with guns that don't have muzzle breaks, that top round can slide forward. Sometimes you won't even be able to get it in the gun. Might just be a bit out of position when the bolt is trying to pick it up.

Before you load that second mag look at the position if the first cartridge. A lot of times, particularly with guns that don't have muzzle breaks, that top round can slide forward. Sometimes you won't even be able to get it in the gun. Might just be a bit out of position when the bolt is trying to pick it up.

Good point. I've tried to make sure that doesn't happen. I'll figure it out. I'm still thinking operator error is the cause.

I've run across problems with brand new Pmags before. Fill em up and shoot em a time or two and see if that fixes it.

If it's not a mag problem there's already been plenty of good advice.

Edited by Blaise1

I've run across problems with brand new Pmags before. Fill em up and shoot em a time or two and see if that fixes it.

Sounds good I'll do it. At current ammo cost I'll suffer the failure durring a match though as I'm a newb. I can only get better.

• 1 month later...

It happened once last weekend. Tried several mags. I think my rifle may not be wet enough. In just usin CLP.

Breakfree cooks off too fast. A lot of folks use Mobil One, or some similar motor oil. I've been using LSA for a long time, with good results.

Me too. Try some GI mags and see of that works

I'm sure I'm not ruinning the gun wet enough. It happend only once last weekend. I sprayed the bolt with CLP and it didn't happen again. I'm now oiling and using cLP. I will mess around in a week or so and give an update.

I've not loaded my pmags fully as that is a shit ton of money. Luckily ammo prices are coming back to reasonable levels and I can even afford more pmags now. (that was not a political statement, just fact)