Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving like a man...

norahdk

Okay.... I am relative new to the sport of IPSC shooting, just starting my second season and LOVING IT :wub:

I have only been shooting for a little over 15 months. I took my IPSC license after 3 month of shooting and did my first competition in May last year and 11 competitions after that (including a lot of level III matches abroad) so I already have some match experience.

I find that my shooting is going well regarding tracking my sights, shooting a lot of alphas, hitting the steel ... you get the picture!

But what I cannot seem to do is RUN LIKE A MAN!! :huh:

I want to be fast and explosive in my movements between targets and I am not sure how to train for this. When I feel explosive and fast I still moves like a girl :angry:

When I watch my female competitors, the also moves like girls, so I am not alone :rolleyes: Why can most women not run/move like men? I believe we can, but I do not know how to attack this problem!

I know I have a lot to win if I can learn to move like a man B) so what to do?

Edited by norahdk

I allready do a crossfit-like training regime (I have for years). My shape is not as good as when I was in my twenties (competitive fitness) but it is not bad.

But I still wonder why guys just seems to move more freely/explosive even if they are in bad shape?

Maybe women are just more controlled (thinking to much :blush: )

Why can most women not run/move like men?

If you look carefully -- and maybe squint your eyes -- you might notice, after careful study, that men and women are not the same.

I tease, but researchers have found that teenage boys and girls run differently. With training, the girls can learn to run more like boys:

Dr. Letha Griffin of the University of Georgia and Dr. Bert R. Mandelbaum of the Santa Monica Orthopedic and Sports Research Foundation in California devised the program.

They compared knee injuries among 1,041 female soccer players in the Coast Soccer League of Southern California who'd been given the injury prevention training. The researchers then compared those injuries to ones suffered by 1,902 players who didn't receive the training.

At the end of the 2000 season, the players who received the training had only two ACL tears, compared with 32 in the group that didn't receive training on moving more like boys.

Griffin and Mandelbaum say that's because girls don't move with the kind of flexibility needed to relieve pressure on the knee.

"Girls run and pivot in a stiff-legged, upright posture," says Griffin, who is head physician for all sports teams at the University of Georgia. "Boys, on the other hand, have knees bent and can play low to the ground."

"Boys can touch the ground from their running position. That's not true of girls," she adds.

Griffin says girls need to learn to keep their hips and knees bent, their body balanced over their legs and their posture straight.

The training program she and Mandelbaum devised for the California soccer league involved a special 20-minute warm-up that concentrated on running, jumping and pivoting with knees bent.

Edited by Not-So-Mad Matt

Why can most women not run/move like men?

If you look carefully -- and maybe squint your eyes -- you might notice, after careful study, that men and women are not the same.

I tease, but researchers have found that teenage boys and girls run differently. With training, the girls can learn to run more like boys:

Dr. Letha Griffin of the University of Georgia and Dr. Bert R. Mandelbaum of the Santa Monica Orthopedic and Sports Research Foundation in California devised the program.

They compared knee injuries among 1,041 female soccer players in the Coast Soccer League of Southern California who'd been given the injury prevention training. The researchers then compared those injuries to ones suffered by 1,902 players who didn't receive the training.

At the end of the 2000 season, the players who received the training had only two ACL tears, compared with 32 in the group that didn't receive training on moving more like boys.

Griffin and Mandelbaum say that's because girls don't move with the kind of flexibility needed to relieve pressure on the knee.

"Girls run and pivot in a stiff-legged, upright posture," says Griffin, who is head physician for all sports teams at the University of Georgia. "Boys, on the other hand, have knees bent and can play low to the ground."

"Boys can touch the ground from their running position. That's not true of girls," she adds.

Griffin says girls need to learn to keep their hips and knees bent, their body balanced over their legs and their posture straight.

The training program she and Mandelbaum devised for the California soccer league involved a special 20-minute warm-up that concentrated on running, jumping and pivoting with knees bent.

Hi Not-So-Mad Matt

I have to squint my eyes then :blush:

That is REALLY great info and a little funny!

I actually did some video of my fast-moving-shooting-boyfriend and found that he bendt his knees a lot both running and in-and-out of position whereas I run stiff-legged... just as your quote!!!

Hi Not-So-Mad Matt

Hej, Norah fra Danmark.

Many of us here honed that skill to a razor-sharp edge through countless hours of relentless study in our younger years.

That is REALLY great info and a little funny! I actually did some video of my fast-moving-shooting-boyfriend and found that he bent his knees a lot both running and in-and-out of position whereas I run stiff-legged... just as your quote!!!

Now you know what to practice!

Hi Not-So-Mad Matt

Hej, Norah fra Danmark.

B)

Many of us here honed that skill to a razor-sharp edge through countless hours of relentless study in our younger years.

:rolleyes:

That is REALLY great info and a little funny! I actually did some video of my fast-moving-shooting-boyfriend and found that he bent his knees a lot both running and in-and-out of position whereas I run stiff-legged... just as your quote!!!

Now you know what to practice!

EXACTLY... it is perfect and just what I was after :goof:

What is an "IPSC license"?

To shoot IPSC in Denmark you have to do both a written exam with 100 questions and a 2 day course where you have to pass a mini match without DQs

Edited by norahdk

I would think it might also come from some lack of suppleness in the joints. Any thoughts about trying yoga/something else? (How are your hip flexors?)

That, and getting coaching to run, and being mindful about how you move, and how you should move. (Watching a recording of yourself should help quite a bit.)

With that said, women do not run as fast as men - but I doubt there are many/any IPSC or USPSA shooters who could keep up w. the better female sprinters.

Hey there. Being in the army, my run has always been my worst. I'll max out push ups and sit up with time left over but my run was horrible. I found what helped me was 60/120's. sprint as fast and hard as you can for 60 seconds then walk or a slow jog (trot) for 120 seconds. I did this three times a week with a long distance slow run twice a week and my time dropped tremendously. My sprints also got better. I've recently got into strongman competitions, and with the weight gain I've found that squats may not improve my sprint or run but it keeps me from getting worse. Just my $0.02. Hope you find what works for you

what i found wich was very helpfull with movement between positions, was playing tennis and squash, and another benefit of doing this, that it's also very good for you physical condition.

That is actually a GREAT idea! I think I will try squash :goof:

I would think it might also come from some lack of suppleness in the joints. Any thoughts about trying yoga/something else? (How are your hip flexors?)

That, and getting coaching to run, and being mindful about how you move, and how you should move. (Watching a recording of yourself should help quite a bit.)

With that said, women do not run as fast as men - but I doubt there are many/any IPSC or USPSA shooters who could keep up w. the better female sprinters.

I don't think it is the joint that is the problem since most women are much more loose then men :)

In my world, women should be able to run as fast as men during an IPSC course unless the men competing is in a super condition.

The most people I have met that shoot IPSC is very average when it comes to weight an condition and thus should be no better runners then me :rolleyes:

Hey there. Being in the army, my run has always been my worst. I'll max out push ups and sit up with time left over but my run was horrible. I found what helped me was 60/120's. sprint as fast and hard as you can for 60 seconds then walk or a slow jog (trot) for 120 seconds. I did this three times a week with a long distance slow run twice a week and my time dropped tremendously. My sprints also got better. I've recently got into strongman competitions, and with the weight gain I've found that squats may not improve my sprint or run but it keeps me from getting worse. Just my $0.02. Hope you find what works for you

Regular sprint training is for sure the way to go to become better :)

In my world, women should be able to run as fast as men during an IPSC course unless the men competing is in a super condition.

Your world sounds backwards. Only women in excellent (sprinting) condition can run as fast as the average man.

You base that on?

Your world sounds backwards. Only women in excellent (sprinting) condition can run as fast as the average man.

You base that on?

Follow the link.

That is not much of a difference :)

... then I am glad the most IPSC shooters in my area are start/mid-forties, a little to much on the side... gives me a chance to beat them :P

I don't think that running is the issue, its the rapid start that makes the difference. Breaking off from an array to move to the next position needs that explosion of power.

Most courses only require a few strides between positions so the difference in a flat out sprint may not be that decisive in this sport in my opinion.