Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Manual

WidowsSon683

So i have Hornadys 8th edition but i always like to have a second reference. Any suggetions on which i should get. Im leaning towards Lymans due to price and being available in paperback, but Noslers and Speers are in the final list as well.

What are you looking to reload? Some manuals are heavily geared towards hunting, some towards general shooting.

I have a Sierra manual, a Speer manual, and 3 Lyman manuals. The Lymans get the most use. I have the multiple manuals as an ability to cross check load data. If they seem to be in the same ballpark, then I will find a safe spot to start and develop from there checking their velocity against my chronographs. I also use them as a cross check against any loads I get off the net be it from a powder site like Hogden or Ramshot, or a load off an Enos post.

I have Lymans , Lee, Hornady, 9th edition Speer plus the 'handouts' from Hercules/Alliant, WW, and a couple others I can't think of just now.

IF I had to pick a 2nd source besides Hornady it would have to be Lyman's.

Speer 3rd. IMO Sierra just is a waste of my money so I dind't update my ancient 1978 era one. It is fine if you buy Sierra bullets however , but I do not, as a rule.

Miy older Speer isn't the lawyered up version that i understand is out now. I've not seen a reason to update it. Just the new Lee, Hornady and Lymans for me.

Lee is okay but for the calibers I tend to look up, 45acp, 38/357 , 45colt/454 Casull there are lot of 'oddball' powders listed I never use.

IMO Lyman comes in more handy for me. I use em all when working up a new load or considering a change. Looking across all those tables

gives one a sense of 'rightness' even though one doesn't have the exact bullet or case or primer make in a given load in a given book.

I load mostly the above with a bias to lead, some plated copper lead, and of course jacketed. Lyman and Speer help me the most with the

lead boolits I tend to run across. Rarely do I have the exact one listed so I just avg across tables and load then chrono.