Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4" .45ACP loads

Rising Sight

Do a search under Clays and 45.

The faster the powder the less it will be affected by the shorter barrel, the problem will be pressure as clays gets sensitve near 170PF in a 4" barrel, as always start low and work up "using a chronograph" watching for pressure signs in your gun.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My standard major load is 4.4gr of Winchester Super Target (WST) behind 230gr Lead RN bullet, Mixed brass and WinLarge Pistol primer. I crimp fairly tight. (Lee FCD)

I get around 172-174 PF out of my 4" Kimber barrell. I could use a lighter recoil spring, but I just haven't had the time. (I try to spend as much time as I can shooting, not reloading :-D )

YMMV. Good luck!

On a side note, I struggled to get a 200gr. bullet to fly at major velocities out of my 4" barrel,so I just stuck with the 230gr.

You can also try SOlO 1250 with the 200's,

Try starting at about 5.4g and work up till you make major....

5.9 gr of 1250 with a 200 gr swc and fed 150's get me about 180 + PF... a little hot now

The load shoots very nicely, soft, the powder is clean burning and meters well in dillon equipment, I like the fed 150's they seem to be more consistent the say win LP primers,

LOA about 1.250 firm crimp

depending on how your gun is setup I am using about a 13# recoil spring and 1 shock buff.

Again this is a nice handling load... the pressures are not as high as if you were loading clays or solo 1000...

Take Care & Good Luck..