Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Didn't recognize a double feed

Bunchies95

Thank God the malfunction happend on the speed shoot, otherwise I would have been hosed for the match. I had a double feed, but I recognized it as a Failure to Eject. I cleared it out like I would any stovepipe, but fed it right back in to another double feed. It finally dawned on me to drop the mag, clear the jam, and reload the gun. What should have been a 6 second stage turned into 12.99 seconds.

At least I didn't try to make up for lost time by hosing the remaining targets. I got 38/40 points with the single Charlie being before the malfunction.

Lesson learned: Tap, Rack, Bang doesn't always work. Sometimes there is an extra step or two.

That sucks. I'm sure most of us have been there!

I generally don't use any of the "tactical" shooting techniques in IPSC, but I do use the quick "30° check" that Travis Haley teaches. A quick tilt of the gun upwards and towards you gives a very clear view of the ejection port, and enough to identify what the malfunction is...

I once attended a course that taught that if the tap, rack, bang was unsuccessful, you were getting way behicnd the curve. The instructor offered for consideration going straight to dropping the mag, rack and insert fresh mag and rack. It takes longer but usually works the first time.

I once attended a course that taught that if the tap, rack, bang was unsuccessful, you were getting way behicnd the curve. The instructor offered for consideration going straight to dropping the mag, rack and insert fresh mag and rack. It takes longer but usually works the first time.

+1 to just drop and grab a new mag. In the end it ends up quicker, unless you have to light of a hammer spring in a 1911 and the thing just goes *click* with each trigger pull

This past weekend I watched a shooter have a stove pipe with a 45 ACP where the case was standing perfectly straight up blocking his entire sight picture. It was amazing to watch him to continue to pull the trigger when he could not even see the sights. Pretty amazing what the mind will do under duress. He eventually cleared it about 3 seconds later... not a rookie either...

• 2 weeks later...

Good rebound not trying to make it up with errant shots. At the LE academy (AZ POST) cadets have to clear double feed malfunctions in 6 seconds. Just an exercise for part of the qual. Add a buzzer and not just a second hand on a watch and stress ensues.