Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armalite comp

chp5

I just got a good deal on a .223 Armalite 16” mid-length upper. It’s a post ban configuration with an Armalite factory comp on the barrel.

Before I grind off the comp and thread the barrel, I figured I’d put some rounds through it and see how it felt.

Has anyone shoot an AR with the Armalite factory comp on the barrel?

The Armalite factory comp works pretty well as a comp, don't get carried away and take it off till you compare it against a few others, it is better than most of the smaller comps.

It works about the same as a Bushy mini brake, neither work as well as a Cooley comp but it is good as is.

I tested a few of the tactical comps a couple of years back for their ability to reduce recoil impuse. I simply hung the rifle from slings and measured how far back it recoiled with each comp. The JP (Cooley Tactical) was clearly best followed by the Miculek. I did not test one of JP's open comps, but I'm sure it would have done even better. I'm just not interested in open class equipment.

Regarding Armalite comps, I removed one from a rifle and replaced it with a JP as the Armalite performed poorly. I suspect that its perfromance is due to the ports being angled forward. I don't know if armalite still angles their ports forward, but if they do I don't think it will ever perform as well as the Cooley or Miculek.

mf

I shot the new Armalite upper yesterday. It's a mid length gas system with a 16" barrel (thinnned under the hand guards), with the Armalite comp.

Here're some pics:

ARmidlength.jpg

ARmidlength2.jpg

All the recoil was directed rearward and it was very flat. It had more rearward recoil than my 20" with a BM Y Comp, but just as flat. It was far flatter tham my BM 16" with a Smith Enterprises brake and a carbine length gas system.

I put a piece of notebook paper up at 25 yards. The dot in my Aimpoint never left paper in recoil.

I'm pleased with it and think I'll keep it on for now.

Based on your pics, it looks like Armalite has updated their comp. It appears that the ports are no longer directing gasses forward. The design looks good and I suspect it should work better than their older model.

mf

shot 3 different rifles today, one with a flash hider, one with armalite comp and one with miculek comp. the flash hider and the armalite performed about the same. the miculek on the other hand really worked well.

shot 3 different rifles today, one with a flash hider, one with armalite comp and one with miculek comp. the flash hider and the armalite performed about the same. the miculek on the other hand really worked well.

scooterj - same comp as mine?

Mine was threaded (1/2" x 28) then fixed for ATF purpses with a welded blind pin. I took it off by grinding it down very carefully until the pin was free of weld and I could get it out. It would be easy to screw up if you didn't do it just right.

mf