Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light loads for a S&W 610

Jlnel

I have fired several thousand reloads using from 3.2 grains to 3.5 grains of Hogdgon CLAYS (not International or Universal- just straight Clays) with several 180 grain bullets (lead alloy, moly coated and jacketed- all truncated cones, semi-wadcutters or hollowpoints) at an overall cartridge length of 1.23" and they've worked very well for me. I've heard of some complaints when going below 3.0 grains that some powder measures start bridging and fail to deliver the full amount of powder sometimes.

Also 3.0 grains is the minimum listed in the Hogdgon online data for reloading for the .40 S&W at a much shorter O.A.L. so the pressures at 3.0 grains will be much lower in the longer cartridge and may cause problems, I don't know. So wouldn't go below what I've been using, without contacting someone more knowledgeable than I am.

I've never tried Bullseye in this caliber, sorry.

Ahhh, bullet size-- i have 1k rainier 180 grain rnfp that should be here in a week ir so. I will pick up powder if needed, looking for least amount of grains as possible to stretch the jug!! Its going to be just a fun load to punch paper. Thanks! Going to loaded in an xl650 if that makes a difference in powder drops..

Edited by Jlnel

Ahhh, bullet size-- i have 1k rainier 180 grain rnfp that should be here in a week ir so. I will pick up powder if needed, looking for least amount of grains as possible to stretch the jug!! Its going to be just a fun load to punch paper. Thanks! Going to loaded in an xl650 if that makes a difference in powder drops..

My Dillon 550B drops consistently at 3.2 grains to 3.5 grains of Clays. Using too little powder may cause trouble from what I've read in the reloading manuals. I really appreciate the convenience of the powder manufacturer's online reloading data, but printed reloading manuals have a lot of valuable information in them about safe reloading practices. Anyway, 3.5 grains of Clays gives you 2,000 loads per pound, that's about 9/10 of a cent per cartridge if my math is correct (based on the volume savings of buying powder in 8 pound jugs). So I don't see a reason to try to save money on powder in this case (high power rifles are different- mine uses 50 grains per load, that's only 140 loads per pound of powder!). The serious money is in everything else; bullets, brass, primers, loading for your spouse and kids, competition entry fees, travel to matches, new pistols, etc. Safe reloading!

Edited by jmbaccolyte