Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Supermoto's shooting diary

Supermoto

Well you can't see if the dot was cutting out if your head was up your ass that's for sure.

Other than the dot issue- what do you think happened? I hope there was some good things too...

Nope nothing good, All I got out of the match was a brutal headache

Edited by Supermoto

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

My faster dry fire times are not transfering over to live fire well. I definitely need to continually work on my draw. It is killing me on fast short stages.

Shot a good match Sunday. Felt like I was seeing the dot well and following through on my 2nd shot. No mike for the match, a few to many Ds. I felt slow on 20 yard targets, need to keep the speed up on these. I find that I am relaxing my grip too much and therefore getting to much muzzle movement. I shot with a thumb brake, I kinda liked it, but it is coming off the gun

Practiced with Lugnut this week, great practice, worked on draws...still slow on a 7 yard target. we both can shoot As all day at 15 yards at speed but were both giving up point up close and droping point at 25 yards. Dot was not tracking well with the thumb brake at 25 yards definitely seeing an up to the right tracking and it is noticable with my hit. Shot with out presure on the thumb rest and the gun tracked straight with much better hit... bye bye thumb rest.

Felt good on the fast transition drils, need to faster split on the target... maybe my hands are to big

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a match at Old Bridge. The goal was to win the match based on points and not speed. Shot 95% of the points, no penalties. Everything felt slow and kinda made for a boring match.

Struggled a little on steel, rush a couple of activators which killed my timing. At one point I was starting to look back at the RO thinking there was a REF, when the pop up target finally released.

Gun ran great on slide glide lite. I'm hoping with the grease there will be less crap migrating to my extractor. With oil and the load/bullet I'm running the extractor gets caked up pretty fast

No sure if my zero is holding. Had a few misses on small steel on one stage shooting through a very low port, but 2 stages later went 1 for 1 on far steel. Then 2 stages after that, all my shots on 20 yard targets were in the neck/head instead of the lower A zone. Need to confirm it is one and if not, I may need to replace this c-more.

Edited by Supermoto

• 3 weeks later...

Last match I shot limited minor with a gun I built, surprisingly it ran and was accurate. Fun run to play with

Practiced today, mainly just ran some rounds through the chrono

8.4 HS6 121 MG 80* is about 170pf

Going to bump up some more to see if I can get the gun to flatten out for 25 yard bill drill, getting to much bounce

not doing any dry fire, but the draws were in hovering around .74 when not really seeing the dot to .86 when I would for live fire.

one day I'll start dry firing again...probably in the winter

Have you tried setting up field courses for dry fire with 1/3 targets? It can be more fun than static drills.

I have, it is fun and challenging. But right now I need to work on keeping up the speed and accuracy on distance shots. I feel my movement and stage break down is good, shooting. draws are my weak point.

Edited by Supermoto

• 3 weeks later...

Finally was able to reach my goal of a sub .7 A draw. Only got one. But had a bunch of mid .7s. Need to dry fire to get get consistent.

Last match was a mess, showed up tired, stood in the sun all day. Should have just gone home. Didn't care about points. Just shoot to get it over with.

weeks match goal is 96%

• 2 weeks later...

Put an allchin mount on the gun, shot 200 rounds in practice...everything was fine. 2nd stage of the match had 2 stovepipes, 3rd stage had 4 and couldn't finish the stage. Tuned the ejector during the match and got it ejecting flat for the next 2 stages, had another stovepipe on the classifier. Put the CR speed mount back on. 500 everything is back to 100%. Allchin seems to be the lowest mount. STI is about 2/10th higher and the CR is 2/10 more than that. Giving up a little offset up close but gaining a whole lot of reliability with range brass.... not taking this mount off no matter how goofy it looks.

On the stage I was able to shoot, I was very happy with the points I shot, 94-96% execpt one one stage that was 88%, but I sacrified point to keep from moving to another position. Had to take the swinger while they were swing in a small window of opprotunity and took a head shot thrun a small window that was covered by a NS, snuck 2 shots by. I was very happy with how the stage turned out, timing was good on the swings. Saved over 3s by not having to move back ou the door and down the wall.

Practice today.

Draws are slowly getting better, mid 8s seem easier while seeing the dot. 7s are still point shooting.

My reloads are garbage, just terrible. I realy should dry fire.

Worked on a modified El prez.

Draws were 1.29 with reloads around the same. Could not get this drill under 5s. Its all that wasted time on the draw/reload. Can't seem to get my splits faster than .18-.19s, doesn't matter if it was the A zone only or wide open target... just can't move my fingers faster.

My hits were good, maybe 10 C 2ds, no NS on a 200 rounds. Tracking the dot well on the 2nd shot.

my runs would be 100% scores

post-4994-0-39363100-1371501027_thumb.jp

Edited by Supermoto

Honestly Mike I wouldn't get all caught up in those splits at 10 yards- as you already mentioned, that's not where you are losing most of the time. Your transitions are already real good so just keep working on the draw and reloads- you'll do better working on that stuff IMO. FWIW Billo was doing this in the 5s range in Production and his splits are no faster than yours.

On the other hand I saw Scott do a .10s split this weekend... I almost stopped him (Roing) because I thought his gun was doubling! lol

Is Bill running the same targets? If he is, that may be enough to make me dry fire.

Scott always runs silly splits, up until he has trigger freeze

Open targets @ 10 yards. Don't make any rash decisions about dry fire... think it over and wait a while.

Is Bill running the same targets? If he is, that may be enough to make me dry fire.

Scott always runs silly splits, up until he has trigger freeze

Open targets @ 10 yards. Don't make any rash decisions about dry fire... think it over and wait a while.

Good advice. I'll revisit this in the winter

• 3 weeks later...

What the heck Mike? Nothing for the last month? Slacker.

Not much to report. I didn't shoot many matches recently.

Practice has been going well. doing some dry firing. Changed my reload to bring my strong hand in more as it seems to naturally do that when I'm trying to reload quickly. Draw is getting better, looking forward to live fire practice to see if the change helps

Last match, started on the classifier. Nuevo El Prez.. 85%, shot it conservatively, reload was decent, smooth. Too many Cs 6 point down. But I wanted to stay away from the NS.

Bobbled the the reload on the next stage., cost me a lot of time on what should have been a 5 sec stage. Other stages went well, did decent on small steel at distance. Had one miss that I was certain I was on the steel..probably a poor trigger pull. Dropped a few Ds on the field stages by hosing to fast on targets that needed more attention. ended up with 92% of the points.

My Classifier percentage has been going down. all my hero or zeros are out. But I feel like I am a lot more consistent.

I don't think all the clubs re submitting scores to uspsa.. a lot seem to be missing

Good practice today.

Shot a modified El Prez with the center target lower A zone only. Cold run at 5.70, quickly reduced that low 5s, ans was running high 4s at the end. Shot 2 NS out of about 100+ rounds. The rest was mostly As. My fastest runs were also my best hits. I was extending my arms further than I normally do, really seems to help with recoil control and getting the dot to track straight.

Reloads were are 1.2-1.30, but they were consistent. I only missed 1 maybe 2 all day. Draws were running 1.1-1.2. Need to get both of these lower, but the dry firing seems to be paying off. Pulling in the strong hand during the reload is definitely more consistent for me.

Also did 2 targets at 5y, a A zone steel and paper at 15y. Draws were hovering in the high 8s, was string a few shots horizontally when pushing the speed. I was very happy with the hits and speed at 15y. Getting nice tight groups running .25-.28 splits at 15y. The 8lb spring and extended arms with my shoulder rolled slightly forward seems to work well.

It seems after 6 years, I'm finally starting to figure this shooting stuff out. unfortunately my knuckles are starting to consistently ache and my ears are ringing a lot. The ringing seems to have started when I went to foam plugs from my custom plugs. I need to get a new pair of customs and double up on ear pro. Hope to make GM before I completely fall apart

Edited by Supermoto

Mike- wish you lived around here to practice together... sounds like you've got a good plan and things are starting to come together. There must be more to this reloading practice than you are telling us... I could sure use some help in that department!!!

On the 2 targets at 5 yards with 15 yd steel... how fast were you going onto and off of the steel? Those splits on the steel seem good to me!

On the aches... HTFU already. How old are you 35? Try doing this shit when you are almost 50 and tell me about it. On the ears... I thought you always doubled up?

I know you can make GM! Just hope you can get there before the old farts do....

The reloading practice is just solid dry firing in my work room, no where else.

For the steel at 15y, the transitions were running .4s-.5s. off the paper at 5y. They were set off at an angle on the side berm with the steel on the back berm. I had set a goal of .3s, but couldn't there. I wasn't tracking coming off the steel on to the paper.

I'm 40, I don't double up in the summer, my little brain cooks in the heat

Reason I ask is.. I was slow off the steel... even in Production it should be close to what your times were. I was originally at .5s range then got it down to .4s. Sounds like you had some smoking times. My times to the paper were in the .65-.85s range. :(

I hear you about the summer heat!!! I was thinking about just plugging and lose the muffs... I still might.

So for the 2 5 yard papers then15y steel then 15 yard paper my transition was .43-.53 to the 15 yard paper off the 15 yard steel

The overall times for 2 5y paper then 15y steel was hovering around 1.95 to 2.05

we didn't do paper steel paper

Edited by Supermoto