Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Supermoto's shooting diary

Supermoto

I need something to get me motivate for the upcoming season. Hopefully this will help

So here are my goals.

Stay on the dot for my second shot. I have a habit on not following through on the 2nd shot on fast transtitions. This has been killing me at matches. Fixing this is my #1 goal.

Faster draw. My draw in matches has always been pathetic. 1.4s draws are what is killing my classifiers. If I knock off .4s, it will bump me up a class. I have never put weight on classifiers, therefore rarely worked on my draw, but at a past area match, my time difference between me and the winner on fast stages was mostly my draw. I can fix that through dry fire, which unfortunately is agonizingly boring. But it does help. The little dry firing I have done does pay off and I have seen improvements, but then I stop and lose ground

Stage memory. Last year, I had a couple of instances were I forgot targets, the year before was even worse. Not sure why, never had that issue before. Might be a lack of focus and planning or just shooting on autopilot without a good plan.

The remaining goals are to shoot a solid area match and eventually make GM.

Unfotunately due to my extreme apathy and laziness...this will probably be my last post

Edited by Supermoto

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what my draw time would be on a open target at 7 yards. I haven't practiced in a while and when I do it has been with 2/3 targets or steel. I rarely practice what I would consider basic fundamental skill, probably why I suck at them.

So I'd say on a 15y 10" steel..1.4s

El prez was 1.2? on a 2/3 I was consistenly faster with a limited gun..

Last time I dryfired (2 months ago) the time was .7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Giek9FBYa04

Edited by Supermoto

Damn it Mike... I thought I was reading my diary for a second there!

Draw and reloads and transitions. IMO if you do limited dry fire- these are the things to work on. No easier way to gain time in classifiers for sure. As you well know- classifiers are usually very short an usually include draws and reloads. In the open world- a quarter of a second is HUGE. If you can pick up a few extra tenths- you will be a GM.

As far as misses or forgetting targets... I wish I had that answer too. I think it's all upstairs. Going into a stage knowing 100% what you are going to do.... and realizing that EVERY SINGLE SHOT MATTERS. Even the ones at 7 yards need the right attention. I think it was Flexmoney that said something like- the close target points are worth just as much at the 25 yard target points... if we're going to give up some points don't do it on the close ones!

First real practice of the year.

Dry firing still suck, but I managed to dry fire 2x since my last post

Live fire to day

Put in a ejector from my Bedell

3/200, stovepipes with practice brass, FTE only happened on last round. The old ejector would stovepipe randomly with practice brass

Draw is getting better .87-.90 at 7yards with A, 1.70 bill drills Turn and draw at 1.10, feels sluggish and snapping my head hurts my neck.

Pushing into the .7s on the draw caused a lot of left side Ds

Reloads still suck, consistent at 1.1 7 yards, but very inconsistent under that. My strong hand has too much movement, pulling the gun in to far and not consistently. Dry firing they are solid, live feel alot of tension. Mags were very slippery, probably the cold weather

My new grip lotion is not working well, I may have used too much

post-4994-0-92091300-1362164870_thumb.jp

WTF that shit looks like blood! Tension sucks doesn't it. It makes everything hard to do but it's hard to push for speed without some. My strategy is to speed things up in dry fire as much as I can- then work on technique and consistency. Hopefully it will flow over to live fire... maybe not as fast but it will improve.

Sounds like you had a great practice!

Cold match today, 30 degree with snow

Started on the classifier Six. terrible turn and draw..1.37, didn't follow thru on the first target, got a mike, throw that classifier in the trash.

Stage 2 was madness, was really focused on follow thru. shot down 1 point, draw was even worse, can't get a good draw with my frozon hands. maybe 1.5s..hit the magwell. reload was ok, hit the mag coming out because of a slow release.

Next stage went well with the texas star.

Popped a NS (right on the perf) on stage 4, tried to engage the 15 yard target before getting into position. but I called the shot and made it up. The rest of my hit were good, happy with the follow thru

last stage was ok, not sure what the draw was a 7 yard on a colt speed plate, but I got a decent grip. Need an extra shot on a steel plate that activated the pop up. then had to wait on the target.

My dot looked huge today, not sure if its because I have been shooting rifle with a smaller dot or because of the overcast and snow, but it was like looking into the sun. Going to drop down to a 6 moa

*** turns out the dot was a 12moa*** NJ is making me stupid

Gun ran well with the ejector and federal brass

Edited by Supermoto

The remaining goals are to shoot a solid area match and eventually make GM.

Unfotunately due to my extreme apathy and laziness...this will probably be my last post

Well, you surpassed one milestone. You have more than one post. Now on to the next.

Good luck Mike and good luck with the girly hands :devil:

100 round practice yesterday

was sighting in with a 6 moa dot and trying ibeji head bullets

They were very consistent over the chrono even with mixed brass and ran 175pf compared to the MG 121 (168pf) which were not nearly as consistent with federal brass.

No real leading issues, but I sprayed the comp with dillon lube before shooting. Didn't notice any smoke issues even during bill drills.

Blazer brass seems to be ejecting lower, have marks on the bottom of the ejection port. Federal brass ran 100 in the match

Draw still hovering around 9s. I seemed to be very slow on reacting to the beep.

Reload still suck, 1.1-1.2s no consistency under that. need to dry fire

Bill drills 1.75 and 1.80... not sure why Im doing these

Working on 25yard draws and accuracy

Draws 1.50. Split at .30-.35 with A. Head shots are taking between .5-high 6

Doing reloads between targets to the head shot. Running 1.50. But they are consistent

Edit to add

Change out scope mounts to a CR Speed, added 3/10 of an inch to the height, but now the gun runs 100% on all range brass, No more sorting out the good stuff for the matches. The increase in height didn't have noticable effect on hold over. Zeroed for 25 yards

8.0gr HS6 with Ibeji heads is running 172pf, sprayed the comp with WD40, no leading issues, barrel is clean

Edited by Supermoto

Working on 25yard draws and accuracy

Draws 1.50. Split at .30-.35 with A. Head shots are taking between .5-high 6

Doing reloads between targets to the head shot. Running 1.50. But they are consistent

You gotta work on your grammar but it sounds like you re doing good! Still dry firing?

• 2 weeks later...

Terrilble match today.

Just plain head up my ass bad shooting combined with a 6moa dot that was to small in the bright sun and may have been cutting out while shooting. Oh and NJ mags make shooting Open a lot less fun