Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory ammunition used in an SV,,

Zerwas

I'm not new to USPSA shooting, however, I am new to the SV firearms. I know that most everyone uses reloads (as do I in 45acp), but I have several thousand 40 caliber rounds that I intend to shoot thru my SV firearm (when it comes in...).

The SV I have on order has the AET barrel set up which according to Schumann will not be prefer 1 round over the next due to some new technology.

My concern is more with reliability with factory ammunition and the SV with the AET barrel. Any stories from you folks that have had experience with this combination?

Once I am done with these factory loads, I will be loading up my own..

I know a couple of people using that type barrel and have never heard any bad reports. I personally wouldn't buy one and infact just ordered a standard NON-AET Hybrid NON-ported to put in my STI gun. My gunsmith, Rusty Kidd, even went as far as saying DO NOT get one of the AET barrels. Whether it is he doesn't like working with them or he has found some problems with them I don't know. As far as reloading the brass I have talked to one person that has a AET and says the brass reloads just like brass from a standard barrel. But since I use Clays in my 40 reloads I would think the extra expansion of the case would shorten it's life span and to be honest I do not like the looks of the brass when it comes out of a AET chamber. If I find any of this brass at the range I just throw it away.

The main problem with factory loads in a SV or ST is that with the shorter OAL of factory ammo it tends to hit the ramp lower than reloads that are loaded longer. This sometime may cause a problem, ie FTF. I have shot factory loads in my limited guns and had no problems. The pf maybe a little hotter than you like but I would still shoot it in practice and save the brass to reload.

Well, I ended up purchasing a slightly used SV combination open top and limited top gun that was without the AET technology barrel. I took the open top out to the range with me last night (9-30-04) to see how it would fire the Federal American Eagle 165gr FMJ. Well, 200 rounds later,,,,,,,I was punching the 10/X ring out of a 25 yard bullseye target, with NO malfunctions of any kind. I am very happy with this set up. Looking foreword now to shooting in some matches.

Thanks to all those that responded to my questions.

OH yeah, I almost forgot,,the 25 yard bullseye target was at 25 yards when I was punching out the X and 10 ring..... Sorry about the oversite on my part...

I was amazed at the accuracy of factory loads. No discernable loss in performance that I could tell. Ringing the 100 yard "gong" (maybe 14"x8") was a total no-brainer with the stuff. Guess I should try shooting some paper sometime.