Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bought too much stuff - now which barrel do I use?

Silver4.6

I've acquired a couple barrels and I can't decide which one to use. My goal is to build an 18" rifle that will be used for 3-gun and shooting (just among friends) from the bench. I want it to be lightweight and shoot flat. I have...

Light contour Noveske 18" NST barrel (intermediate gas length, factory fixed gas block) 32oz

White Oak Armament 18" SPR barrel in rifle length gas 41oz

Dilema comes here... I also have a Young Manufacturing super light BCG.

Love the weight on the Noveske but with the non-adjustable gas block and intermediate gas length, will I even realize the benefit of the lighter BCG? I am considering using the White Oak Barrel and sending it to Adco for fluting or re-profiling. This way I will have the rifle gas length and I can run an adjustable block. I also have a standard semi-auto BCG I could use. What do you guys think?

I'm using a Lancer XL carbon handguard and would like the gun to balance with the CTR stock i have for now.

Edited by Silver4.6

I have the 18" Noveske NST barrel and I run it with a Young's NM carrier. With a JP Bennie Cooley comp, it shoots flat. There is no reason you can't add an adjustable gas block to the noveske barrel. Just use the intermediate length gas tube that it comes with. I seriously doubt you will notice the difference between the rifle length gas and the intermediate length gas...

I was under the impression that normal gas blocks wouldn't fit because of the fine print on their website.

"The barrel ships with gas block installed. This barrel is designed for our gas block that is 1" long(INCLUDED). A standard front sight base is 1.9" long and WILL NOT FIT. Barrel installation should be performed by a qualified gunsmith. Installation of the gas block dowel pin and gas block is required to complete the assembly process."

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-18lw-556&cat=158&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

I guess it does say sight base...can i install a syrac on this barrel?

You could always have the WOA barrel contoured or fluted to lose some of that weight. I prefer a rifle length gas system and adjustable gas block... but one of my best shooting rifles has a mid length with a regular gas block. As a wise 3gun sage once said, "if you think you need it then you do".

The Syrac is also 1" long and the Noveske barrel should be 0.75" diameter at the gas port....

Mick

I was under the impression that normal gas blocks wouldn't fit because of the fine print on their website.

"The barrel ships with gas block installed. This barrel is designed for our gas block that is 1" long(INCLUDED). A standard front sight base is 1.9" long and WILL NOT FIT. Barrel installation should be performed by a qualified gunsmith. Installation of the gas block dowel pin and gas block is required to complete the assembly process."

http://noveskeriflew...&status=&title=

I guess it does say sight base...can i install a syrac on this barrel?