Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA Race Master Help!

PHX

I have a race master I have been using for the past year with my tanfoglio limited. It works great and I love the holster. I recently picked up a new Caspian hi cap with square trigger guard. I hoped the tanfoglio holster would be same, but it wasnt even close.

I ordered a new insert block for the caspian square guard. I got it and its not even close to fitting. The locking "claw" is very narrow and doesnt hit the trigger guard in the right place. Even if I take the locking "claw" out, the slot in the block where the gun sits is very narrow. I can force the gun in but it would be way to tight to use. Also the gun doesnt sit flat in the holster like my tanfoglio does. It is canted forward, moving the mag well up and forward.

From my research they only make one caspian insert. I hope im wrong and I was accidentally sent the wrong item. I dont know if a insert is made for the round trigger guard. Mine says caspian but thats it.

I know some fit is necessary, but this would be hours of work. Something has to be wrong. Any advice/experience would be great.

Edited by PHX

Send a PM to "doublealpha" and include your email address. I had an issue a few weeks ago and did that. Saul sent me an email the next day and sent a couple of follow up emails very quickly. Keep in mind he is in the Netherlands, 6 hours ahead of East Coast time.

Saul was a pleasure to work with and resolved my issue extremely fast.

I ordered a new insert block for the caspian square guard. I got it and its not even close to fitting. The locking "claw" is very narrow and doesnt hit the trigger guard in the right place. Even if I take the locking "claw" out, the slot in the block where the gun sits is very narrow. I can force the gun in but it would be way to tight to use. Also the gun doesnt sit flat in the holster like my tanfoglio does. It is canted forward, moving the mag well up and forward.

From my research they only make one caspian insert. I hope im wrong and I was accidentally sent the wrong item. I dont know if a insert is made for the round trigger guard. Mine says caspian but thats it.

I know some fit is necessary, but this would be hours of work. Something has to be wrong. Any advice/experience would be great.

The best advice is to follow the previous replies and contact Saul / DAA. You will receive a response.

There are two parts to the RM locking mechanism and they both have to fit the triggerguard of the gun.

The first is the "Claw" or trigger guard block. I believe the trigger guard profile/recess is factory cut to the model that DAA has one hand for fabrication. Of course both DAA and each gun manufacturer has a certain acceptable manufacturing tolerances and the profile may not exactly fit your specific unit. A little time with few needle files should resolve this fitment issue.

The second is the width of the "Slot" and the same issue applies.

Both of these need to fit the gun for the holster to work well. I'm not saying the either the holster block or the gun is out of spec, but more than likely one is on the plus side of the tolerance spectrum and the other is on the minus side.

Initially I spent a couple of hours fitting the "Claw" and the "Slot" on my holster (S_I) as well as smoothing out the machining flash from rest of the moving parts. The claw not so much, the the slot was way undersized and really needed to be opened up.

It doesn't sound like you had the same issue with your Tanfo? I got lucky on the block for my revo - no fitting at all.

Edited by lumpygravy

HI PHX,

You can email me at info@doublealpha.biz any time.

I believe the problem lies with more than one generation of Caspain frames! we have seen some larger than others, and while they have roughly the same profile, the one is a few tenths larger than the other... we fit the sample we have, which is, I believe, one of the smaller ones. it is easier to enlarge if need be, while fitting. it is impossible to go the other way.

Firts fit the width of the slot, after removing the slide lock. if you can force the gun is already this tell me that just a few passes with a flat file will allow the gun to slide in. only after that address the issue of the slide lock. For the Caspain, you shoudl be able to modify the slide lock with a file, but a dremmel is always an option. All in all, this should not take more than 10min to do.

If you are in doubt about what you received email me a picture of the insert block and slide lock first, for me to confirm that it is a Caspian.

thanks

Saul

i had the same problem last week, when i was shopping for a new holster to go with my sp01 shadow, tried 3 racemasters in the store, but none of them fits gun, also tried some other holster like the ghost ultimate and the hoppner and schueman, and with them it was the same, than the gunsmith took another shadow and this gun also didn't fit in the holsters, maybe the dimensions on the gun where changed recently, i don't know, but a friend of mine is shooting with a shadow wich is a couple of years old, and his gun fits perfectly in the holster.

the only holster wich fitted, was the bladetech, so i bought that one.