Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cabot guns 1911

bonglee0507

Got to shoot a couple last month. Seemed very nice. The machining is incredible. They said you can take any part from any gun and swap it out and it will fit perfectly. Felt just like a hand fit top notch 1911. I've got a customer that ordered one so when it shows I'll see another one.

The ones that I handled at SHOT weren't fit to how I would imagine it would be. For the money spent it and all the tech talk, one would think that it was well fit. The BTGS wasn't the nicest fit, barrel fit was loose to ok, they said they invented how the front sight was installed (which is how Paul Liebenberg - Pistol Dynamics does them), never gave numbers on accuracy (just saying they shoot pretty good), on one of the display models the grip safety didn't work. The back corner of the grips overhang the MSH a little.

The plus side is that the slide was smooth on the frame with no lube, though the fit was looser that I would expect.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know, looking at the pics on their site, their finish work looks less then staler......for a 5-6k gun. Most of the thumb safeties aren't blended that well and the back of the slide (ejector and extractor) aren't machined flush.

If the parts are interchangeable between guns they sound like they are machine fit rather than hand fit. Any hand fit parts are not going to swap around. If parts can be interchanged the tolerances can't be very tight. That would account for what Quack stated in his post about fit.

I saw them a while ago and was amazed at the machining and the ability to swap slides and frames with pretty much perfect fit. Saw some later and they were not as good. So I'm not sure what's up. They are machining these from plate steel, and grinding to final dimensions, that's how they can hold such tight tolerances.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw them a while ago and was amazed at the machining and the ability to swap slides and frames with pretty much perfect fit. Saw some later and they were not as good. So I'm not sure what's up. They are machining these from plate steel, and grinding to final dimensions, that's how they can hold such tight tolerances.

how does it shoot?

Haven't had a chance to shoot one. But I can't see how it's going to be better than any other 1911 built with good slide to frame fit and proper barrel installation. Durability will be better than a cast frame, but probably the same as forged.

Check this out:

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?9995-Cabot-firearms

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?3157-HAHAHA!-At-it-again

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?1342-Mr-amp-mrs-dat-go-to-cabot-guns

Now I do have to say...from the pictures, what's been said on the forums, and the price-point...there's no way in HELL I'd buy one. If you're spending that much money, it better be a custom by a well known smith.