Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Universal .30cal questions

Trey A

Pardon my ignorance, I am new to reloading. I am wanting to know if there is such a bullet (.30) that would work well in multiple applications. Basically I have a few rifles I would like to purchase one bullet for.

These will be used as target loads on paper for groups. And if so is there a good bullet I can use for hunting that will work good in the different rifles ( I am looking for both a hunting bullet and a target for different rifles/ calibers) . The Rifles and calibers:

Remington 700- .308

Armalite Super SASS AR10 - .308

Remington 700- .30-06

Remington 700- .300WinMag

Question number 2

I am also looking for a good over all bullet in .308 for plinking out of my carbine AR10, 3 gun style shooting with 3 gun accuracy in mind .

Final thing , is there a powder I may can run in all 3 or at least the .300WinMag and .30-06? I figure I may not find one for all 3 because of burn rate with the case size but I can at least wish.

The bullet weight will be dependent on what the twist rate for the barrels are.

If you do not know, run a tight patch through the barrels and measure the difference in lenght of the cleaning rod before and after it makes one full rotation.

An important consideration is what you will be shooting with each of the guns.

For hunting, a bullet suitable for deer in the 308 may (probably will be) too frangible for, say, elk with the Magnum.

I would, perhaps, consider a 165gr as an all round bullet - again, depending on use.

Guy