Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45ACP Brass life

TriggerT

I won a gift certificate for some StarLine brass, and was wondering if +P 45acp brass will have a longer life than just standard 45acp? I think I remember hearing that +P has thicker walls, but I am looking for some advice. Also, if the walls are in fact thicker, would that greatly effect my standard IPSC load, since the space inside the case would be a little smaller?

I believe with the lower pressures you experience in standard 45 acp, you can pretty much use this stuff for a very long time. 45 acp is nowhere near as high pressure intense as 40 S&W, 38 super, or 9mm and if you always get all your brass back, it will last for a very long time. The only time you won't make it last all that long, is if for some strange reason, you load very hot, higher than normal pressure loads.. It is pretty easy to make major with 45 acp and the bullets tend not to need to go very fast. Low pressure and heavy bullets generally combine for long brass life.

Vince

D'oh, stupid me.. I was intending to say get the +P brass, but I guess I got sidetracked. Personally, I would go for the +P brass. Any thickness difference in something that low pressure would probably be negligable..but it would probably improve the life of it.

Vince

I was just wondering if there would be any advantage to getting +P brass...

Not unless you're going to build some really HOT loads. Click HERE and then scroll down about half the page, there's pictures of cut aways of 45 ACP, +Ps and 45 Super brass. I'd get the regular 45 ACP so you can mix it with your other cases and not have the same load perform differently than the rest of your stuff.

Ed

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I will just keep all the brass the same, so I don't end up with some odd ball loads mixed in with the rest of my stuff. +P was just a thought I wanted to bounce off of some of the people here on the forum.

many shooters of semi autos find there brass ends up lost long before it wears out....I have recently had a few winchester 45s crack after 20 or so reloads.

the headstamp is barely readable.. remington brass doesnt seem to last as long.