Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Never say never!

dfwmiket

Well, after a 3 1/2 year total hiatus from shooting, we have shot two club matches in a row now! Having to borrow guns/mags/ammo is not fun, but thankfully having very generous and real friends has made this possible....... now of course have to buy some equipment back, but maybe it's ok too.............. goes along with lessons learned. A total layoff can be good for you, who'd a thunk it?

I think if you were to ask what has been learned, I'd say quite a few things:

1. When it stops being fun, take a break......... however long it takes till you want to do it again. (As mentioned, it was 3 1/2 years for us.)

2. Never EVER sell off your stuff because you think you'll "never" shoot again. This includes your reloader. :surprise: (Trust me on this.) Three race guns and a 650 are not easily replaced. :)

3. All things in moderation is not such a bad thing--- will we ever shoot 7 matches a month again? Doubtful, but even now I won't say never, like the thread topic says. :devil:

One match a month and just enjoying it is fun again!

4. Dryfire practice after a long break is pretty danged useful-- you can remember which end is the dangerous one pretty quickly. Hat tip to Ben Stoeger for some new material out there that almost makes me want to get into a practice routine again. "Almost".

It feels good to be "back". Will it last? I can't say, but baby steps still count.

-Mike (& Patty)

Edited by dfwmiket

I quit for more than 10 years and came back a couple of years ago.

I agree 100% with everything stated. Especially #2 - i sold my 650. I kept my guns, but having to buy ammo is significantly more expensive and until I get another press, I cannot tailor loads to my guns.

I may shoot one match a month now with weekly live practices and I'm having a lot of fun. I decided not to worry about classification or placements at all. Even though I have a couple of B cards, I'm really shooting more at a mid-pack C and I'm fine with that considering that I may dryfire once a month now.

There is nothing wrong with just shooting to have fun, as long as your expectations are in line with your level of participation.

Nobody ever said you MUST practice to have fun in the sport.

You only must practice if you want to improve. (rapidly)

SA

This is where I am and for the amount of practice I put in, I'm reasonably satisfied with how I'm shooting. I know I could regain some of my prior level of performance, but a high level of performance is not as important to me now as it used to be.

Having a fresh start, so to speak, helps me see things in a different perspective than before the hiatus. It's somewhat interesting to have no guns/no gear and get to figure out where to restart w/ our own equipment (which we have to do because at some point even our closest friends may not want to loan out their race guns constantly!)... figuring out the best bang for our buck, so to speak. At some point, I do plan to repurchase a reloader, but really won't be anytime soon......factory ammo will probably have to do. Steve, when you said " There is nothing wrong with just shooting to have fun, as long as your expectations are in line with your level of participation"........that is indeed a big part of it too....... the minute it isn't "fun" again, I'll know the solution a lot sooner this time. :cheers: Although I do have your books and Ben's new one, and a little bit of renewed enthusiasm. :devil: Hmmmm.............

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, revisiting this topic......... as stated earlier, shot a match in December and January after a 3 1/2 year hiatus...... and then weather and life got in the way for the last couple of months until this past Saturday when we got out again to a match at what might be the NICEST range I've ever been to and it's locally roughly an hour's drive. Still haven't bought (should that say re-bought?) guns or a press again yet, so once again borrowed equipment and shot the match. We purchased an airsoft gun not long ago and found it was very helpful in getting back the "feel" of the gun. We had a good time and it was a tough but great fun match. The outcome if you want to call it that........ shooting borrowed equipment does not in any way ENHANCE your shooting abilities, and while airsoft has been good and a little practice has helped, hitting the mag release on a gun a few times during stages (as a southpaw, those extended ones get in the way!!) and generally forgetting that it's not an open gun means shooting out of your mind and generally scores reflect that. I've probably never shot that many penalties in my whole shooting career. Zeroing two stages (FTE, my brain and memory stages obviously ain't friends!!) pretty much doomed my outcome. The good news was it was STILL a hell of a lot of fun and sorta now convinced may just stick back doing it for a while......even if just a monthly match, it seems like I see it recurring. :) I do have to say, man, I do miss shooting open though....... that whole aiming thing was WAY overrated.............. hahahaha!!