Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best VV powder for 5.56 55 gr and 75-77 gr?

21 shooter

I found some VV powder (2 or 3 types) but not having used it for 5.56 I'm not sure which one(s) would be best for these bullet weights. I've read some opinions but nothing conclusive. The experts are usually to be found here so all input is appreciated.

Just to add I am using N310 and N320 for pistol and both are excellent but again not familiar with their rifle powder.

Edited by 21 shooter

My first five shot group ever shot with this load, I covered all five holes completely with a quarter at 200yds. resting on my range bag!!!! LW 20" barrel, Wylde Chamber Firebird with fed brass loaded with 23.6gr V.V. N135 under a 69gr SMK. :-) . I was astounded, to say the least. Maybe it was just a fluke but that group settled it for me. N135 it is.

MLM

Looks like 133 and 135 are good choices. I will have to see if I can get 1-# jugs to try out. I do have a few 69's to try out as well. Perhaps there is not a bad choice here. Thanks for your response and I hope others will chime in with information as well.

Primers fall out because of the primer pocket, don't they? Not because of the powder.

Are you blowing primers out? I have found if I don't ream the primer hole I can get blown primers. If my loads are too hot, I will blow a primer.

When I was developing my load I was chrono'ing the loads then shooting them in a 100 yard tunnel for groups.

Later, when I was using my 69 SMK and 55 Factory Hornady, I would set up two targets next to each other at 200, 300, & 400 yards. My goal was to determine the differences in bullet drops between the two.