Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Ambi safety problems for a lefty

razor1911

Hi All,

I'm a lefty and I've got some problems with my ambi thumb safety on my 2011.

Both stem from actuating the right side (which I have to do since I'm a lefty):

1) the whole left side part of the safety walks out and separates from the frame.

2) the front part of the left side of the safety sometimes bends outwards (see picture). This causes the safety to bind until i wiggle it and push it back in manually (see the attached picture for the part that separates and cases it to bind).

To solve (1) I compressed the prongs that hold it together and it helped a bit. For (2) I tried used some pliers to make sure that the rod with the prongs is exactly 90 degreed to the part that goes flat against the frame which worked for about 1 session.

I suspect I need a new safety in general since this design seems really poor for someone who only actuates the right hand side.

Does the Caspian internal locking ambi safety work on 2011s without modifying the frame? It seems like a more solid design. Any other safeties that work really well for lefties?

Anyone else had this kind of a problem and can offer any advice?

Thanks!

post-11550-0-32798500-1359257209_thumb.j

The Caspian locking ambi is a good fix for the problem. The new ones are a bit more oversized and need some fitting. I got one of the earlier ones and I have had some problems. It was a a little mushy and when I would click down the right lever, the left side wouldn't always go down all the way. With the new ones you can feel the safety click down nice on both sides. Wilson also sells a locking ambi safety (Bullet Proof) that is very good. The price is about $160 vs the Caspian at $75.

Edited by speculatorking