Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Ram Wobble/Play

On my 650, with the ram in the down position, if I grab the primer feed assembly and gently twist it, the ram will wobble. However, when the ram is in its full upright position, there is no wobble or play.

When I start the reloading cycle, about 50% of the time I have a misalignment at position one. If I do not guide the case into position, I have to manually guide the shell into position after lowering the ram about 1/8 of an inch from my initial upstroke in order for it to align properly. I have moved the case feeding cam to various positions and this does not seem to help. If I do not guide the case into the proper position for stage one, then I have a crushed case after applying more than normal force to the handle or manually guide the case into position in order for it to be alined properly. The used primer is punched out after completing this station when aligned properly.

Then, when the case comes to position two, the case does not align properly with the powder funnel. The powder funnel is resting on the lip of the case and will not drop inside of the case. I have to manually guide it into the proper position.

Position three is open and position four and five seem to be working OK.

Since I am having this problem, I have not tried to seat any primers or drop any powder. I am only going through the motions with once fired mixed brass in order to get all the stations working properly.

I have checked the shell plate and it is adjusted properly. I have also taken it off and cleaned it. I have checked the two screws at the base of the ram on the left side and the right side. All are tight.

I am at a stop now and would appreciate any help or ideas.

Thanks

Make sure that your shell plate hold down bolt is not too tight, that the shell plate indexes properly and centers at each station. Remove the station one locator, clean and lube (grease) the rails. Also check that the triangular block that indexes the case feed shuttle hasn't loosened and moved back. With a case in station 2 that has a spent primer, hold the handle all the way down, loosen the allen screw that holds the block push forward and re-tighten.

Edited by Boxerglocker

Had the exact same problem with one of mine this weekend. Fortunately I ran across this before and knew what the problem might be. There is a set screw on the main shaft right next to the index ring. Use an 1/8 " Allen wrench to make sure it is snug. Do not over tighten it because it is brass. It is much easier to see and do if the main shaft is in the upward position.

Hope this solves the problem.

Thanks for all the help.

Just completed what all the above suggested and the results are..............IT IS ALIGNING AGAIN!!!!!

I can't say for sure what fixed the problem as I had done many steps as was suggested.

I am sure that greasing the rails for the station 1 helped. The main step that I had not checked and would not have thought of checking was was to tighten the two bolts underneath the shell plate. One broke free with little effort and the other bolt was not even snug. Now, I have tighten them to a snug position, but not overly tightened.

However, I noticed that the station 1 slide was damaged and the case insert slide was not able to push the case completely into the shell plate. The damaged station 1 slide is 9mm. On a temporary basis, can a 40 S&W station 1 slide be substituted?

Thanks for the idea boxerglocker. The slide had a bulge/bump on it and I tried to press it out on the vice. It is less obvious now, but still not right. I like your idea about the file and sandpaper and that should make the slide somewhat useable. I have ordered the Dillon replacement part.

Thanks

I have the same way problem with the platform moving in both the up and down positions.

I removed the shellplate and the two bolts holding the platform to the mainshaft were tight, but there is still movement.

I removed the platform and wiped down the platform and mainshaft looking for burst, nothing found.

I've reinstalled the platform and shellplate, but there is still movement.

Any ideas?

Video of movement:

Edited by HKSig45

You say that the two bolts holding the platform are tight but the way that the platform is moving while the shellplate isn't sure makes it look like those bolts are either not tight of else are a little too long and are bottoming out before the platform gets tight enough.

Brian

Lets try this idea...........Is your machine producing an acceptable round without malfunctioning? If so, then the wobble should not be a problem.

How many rounds through your machine?

I would not think that Dillon installed the wrong size bolts. However, if you want, take out your bolts and measure them and report back. Then I will measure my bolts for comparison purposes.

I've called Dillion and they have issued an RMA for me to return the main shaft and platform for inspection.

I have processed 6k of 5.56 brass (deprimed/size/trim) and loaded 3k of 5.56. The rounds are acceptable I just find the movement odd.

I'll measure the bolts tonight when I tear down the press for return.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear that Dillon did it right. Quick turn around!

Did you send in the complete machine or without the handle, tool head and dies?

Who paid for shipping or was it 50/50 split?

Are you up and running now?