Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smoke and Hope, at home

Yesterday I set up a mini "Smoke and Hope" mock up in my living room. Using scaled down aluminum plates and an airsoft gbb pistol. FUN FUN FUN. I went through at least 200 BB's in no time flat. (pieces of those things are everywhere now, they break when hitting the plates) I would like to rig the simulated stop plate with a sensor so I can actually time the runs, but I have no idea how to do such. (any links or tips?)

I am looking forward to letting some non-shooting friends give it a try. It should be much less intimidating than real shooting, and they might get an idea of what I spend my Sunday mornings doing at steel matches. Trying to explain what a steel match is, hasn't worked very well so far to convey the experience to non-shooting friends just yet.

How much does your stop plate move when you hit it? You might be able to use a limit switch. Here's one from radioshack http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...%5Fid=275%2D017

If you hang the plate at the top, mount the limit switch at the bottom of the plate. When the plate is hit, it will contact the limit switch. Just wire it so it closes the connection. Use the appropriate cable and plug for your timer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Here is a link to the system that we use for our version of Steel Challenge in the UK.

http://www.combatsheep.net/shooting/stop-plate.htm

The LED mentioned in the circuit diagram is typically mounted to the plate post and blinks on when the plate is hit and the timer stopped.

A typical set up also has LEDs on the primary plates as well.

This is great for a RO as is stops the "I'm sure I hit that plate" dispute. (No light, no hit).

It's also good from a spectators view point as thay can see the lights go on as the plates are shot.

HTH,

Mario.