Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Magazines to Drop Free

August

Will the Brownell's Stirrup Die allow me to open up the trigger bows on my guns so that magazines drop cleanly every time?

Is that the right tool for the job? Most of the trigger bows I have are too narrow to permit clean magazine drop from the gun.

Thanks.

I've also had the width of my.mags expand.a little and that is just enough to hang them up a bit. Could check that.

Fill the mag with dummy rounds and put it on a hard surface and give it a few hits with a plastic hammer. I learned this from Wilson Combat. Works great!

Easy does it......if you can pull the trigger out and adjust the mag width as to run cleanly throught the trigger bow.

Also make sure that your mag release is working and that the mag isn't sticking in the grip itself. :devil: :devil:

Edited by Carmine

For some reason, the mags in my single stack 1911 decided they wouldn't fall free anymore. Hadn't used for the gun for a couple of months, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out why. Turned out it was the upper grip screws that kissed the side of the mag. Trimmed them ever so slightly and whoosh! Out the mags come.

Siphon

i have been having the same problem with some of my tripp cobra mags not dropping out of my trojan .40. my gunsmith tried but couldnt fix the problem.

this thread inspired me to figure it out myself. i measured the width of each mag and found they vary from .540" to .545"

the ones on the slimmer end drop free like ice, the wider ones dont drop at all. im disappointed that mags that are supposedly the best on the market and cost so much have so much variance, but i threw the fatty's in the vice length wise and squeezed them down to .540" width and now they drop free no problemo.

thank you for inspiring me to fix my own mags.