Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light .38 Super Load

pbcaster45

Want try Hodgdon Clays with a 130 gr. Rainier (LOAL 1.280) in my Kimber 5-inch .38 Super. Something in the 900 - 1000 fps range for fun. Anybody have a suggestion on where to start? Haven't seen anything with Clays in the loadbooks. Thought maybe 3.7 - 4.0 grs. might work but I'm not sure,...

Clays works really great in my .45 Auto. I've been using 3.7 grs. with a 230 gr. Rainier and its accurate and clean. Since I've got plenty of Clays I was wondering if it would work the same in the .38 Super. If not I'll just stick with HP-38 or W231.

Define light? You might be able to use data for 38 ACP (The precursor to 38 super). Same cartridge length, same bullet weights, half the pressure. We are not talking about .380 auto here. Or you could use standard book load 38 super.. and you know.. stay within common pressure limits. :lol:

Vince

A very light load that I have used (125pf) for NRA AP is a Zero 9mm 125gr JHP with 4.0gr Hodg TiteGroup.

Clays is a little quick and gives very high pressures with a 130gr Lead or Plated Projectile. I have used a 125gr Coated Lead bullet with 3.8gr Red Dot and got just on 1050fps = 131pf. Quite accurate but not as soft as you think.

I am working on a ISU Bullseye load using a 125gr Lead Projectile and 3.2 grains of Clays. 800fps but you have a single shot pistol with a std 13lb spring. Lets just say this is a work in progress :D

to answer your real question, i dunno, as an aside, try a zero 115jhp on top of 4.5 of N320 loaded to 1.25. ultra soft, should make bianchi power factor and shoots into 1" at 50 through 2 different Bianchi guns I have shot. i also know of a 122 gr. lead truncated cone bullet load that feels like a rimfire but still makes power factor. I dont remember what powder, if u r interested PM and ill find the recipe book.