Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In Celebration of the Sunset

diehli

This one happened when rounding the bend on Angeles Crest Highway. Luckily I was coming back from the dragstrip in Palmdale, CA from an assignment and had the digicam with me. It's been my desktop for the last 2+ years... on the PC I had and now on my laptop.

Here's my sunset picture taken out at Point Reyes, California.

DSCN1473.jpg

It's not that hard to take a sunset picture with the ocean. You just have to be on the west coast of anywhere about 30 minutes before sunset. Set your camera for spot metering and meter off the sky but not directly at the sun. This will under expose the ground. If you meter off the ground, then the sky will be too bright, but the ground will be properly exposed. You usually don't want that.

If you don't have the ocean anywhere close, then you just have to get lucky. You can cheat if there's clouds by using a color filter. Or you can start a forest fire. :o The combination of the smoke and the light towards sunset gives really nice colors.

Wow, didn't know we had photo critics here too. It's all good. Constructive criticism never hurts. I'll make sure to fix the tilt (drunken stance) before making another print.

The picture was taken off the shore of Kona in Nov. 2000. I'm way over due for another Hawaii trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Won a small local contest with this one in 1993.

Location: Centralia, Washington--right outside my front yard.

Was like this most every night (except when it rained)...

VolcanoSunset.jpg

(excuse the graininess. It's a print and the scanner is getting old...)