Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P9L vs M&P9FS w/ fitted barrel for USPSA Production

mvsr990

I'm working my way into being a better shooter, aiming to start actively shooting USPSA this year.

My primary training/game gun is a Gen4 G17 - reliable and accurate, but the ergonomics remain lacking - finger-grooves, hump, and I feel like I fight it a bit to keep my grip high.

I'm weighing switching to the M&P - my experience with an early model was so-so (long, indistinct reset that had me short-stroking it), but the grip was outstanding. I can't decide if I want to hunt for a M&P9L (or Pro, if it's all I can find), put in the Apex parts and new sights, or getting a M&P9 FS w/ fitted barrel from G&R Tactical (also with Apex/sights) . Giving up the extra sight radius and softer recoil (and possible weak accuracy) for a fitted barrel with good accuracy reports.

I used to own Glock 17, 19 and 34.They are good guns then one day I tried the m&p pro 5" and my life started to change since that day. I recently switched to the M&P camp and having a 5" pro to shoot in both IDPA and production with, you can't go wrong with the M&P.

I wouldn't even consider the 4.25" model if you're buying a gun. If you've already got one and want to shoot it then you can get by with it, but if purchasing a gun specifically for USPSA 5" is absolutely the way to go. The Apex/BarSto barrels are supposed to be out any day now and the KKM and Storm Lake barrels are already out with people reporting good results.

It seems all of the really good USPSA shooters shoot the longslide 5" model. 9L or Pro, doesn't really matter. Stick with what the big dawgs shoot. I sold my 4.5 years ago for a 9L, and I'm glad I did. I then picked up a .40 Pro and made it my limited gun. I then picked up the M&P .22 and I'm having great cheap practice and a lot of trigger time with it. I really like the M&P platform, and with the small backstrap...nothing fits my hand better. Since this isn't a Glock vs. M&P thread, rather the OP wants opinions about 9L or Pro vs. FS, My vote is for the Pro, unless you can find a 9L.

I picked up my Pro a month ago and love it. I sent a couple backstrap tools off to Kenny at Speed Shooters to see if he can modify them, so he can ship me the limited magwell for it. They have been waiting on S&W to send them a shipment for a while. As for accuracy, the only issue I have with the stock barrel so far is me.... :blush:

I've owned a 9 fullsize for some months now, and a .40 pro most recently, both with the Apex competition kit. The extra sight radius and weight up front make a huge difference for me. Even for Steel Challenge, with 12" plates at 20 yards, the factory barrel on the FS is plenty accurate, as is the Pro.

Edited by thermobollocks

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Pro with a drop in Storm Lake barrel. I could see the difference in accuracy and think it's well worth the money. However, I would not pay the extra money to have one fitted. The triggers have their limitations and slide to frame fit is a joke so to me it seems its a waste of money. Great gun though. I've went almost 10,000 rounds with four malfunctions. Three were from when the extractor stopped working and the other was just needing a new recoil spring. You wont be disappointed.

If you already have the FS and money is tight then maybe not, but if you're buying a gun for gaming then definitely go pro/9L.

For me the extra sight radius isn't that big of a deal, but the 5" feels like a completely different pistol in my hand. The 5" feels much better balanced to the point it feels lighter than my FS.