Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Feed Problems

John R

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this.

The problem I'm having is the case feeder on my 650 throws a case out over the top every once in a while, and also when loading .45 ACP the case feeder jams up, the case will get caught between the case plate and the white block screwed to the case feeder housing.

I read somewhere about moving the white block to a different hole but my case feeder only has one hole for mounting this block.

One other thing I have problems with is cases will log jam in the funnel leading to the drop tube, this only happens with the .45 ACP round.

I've tried running it with the extra washer installed under the case plate and also without it doesn't seem to make any difference.

This press and case feeder is one of the first 650's out of the Dillon factory, and I'm sure they have made improvements.

I have found that if you take pieces of plastic like a credit card and make some wipers that you put inside the case feeder with carpet tape you can keep the cases from riding along with others and ensure only upright cases get anywhere near the drop tube. Cut and secure wipers so they sweep just above the case mouth as it goes by the wiper and it will sweep any cases getting a free ride behind the cases that are in the steps, then position another wipe so it hits the cases before the drop hard enough to upset any cases that are riding upside down.

I also dont use the white funnel with 45 or 40.

There should be 3 holes where the white block mounts inside the bin. Mine works best doing 45acp with the white block moved closer to the funnel. Mine is an older model also; on a 1050, before they started using the metal piece that partially wraps around the hopper. It will throw a case or two out of it occasionally.

Blkbrd's idea of a couple of extra wipers sounds like a good solution.

I did call dillon about mine and they will sell you a newr style hopper without the motor/switch. I think it was around $60.00

Adam

I had the same problem when I recently bought a used 650, I called Dillon and they told me to move the white block. I too thought that there was only one place it would go, but if you look carefully, you can see were it CAN be moved over about 3/8” or so. Once moved, (TOWARD the funnel, like ANeat says) everything works, as it should. :)

Ed