Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bill Drill vs. 2-2-2

Sharyn

People are different. Don't discount what works for one person because it doesn't work for a number of others... this is particularly true of things that require a physical aptitude.

I'm not discounting anyone... ??? I'm trying to understand the concepts discussed in this thread and apply them to my shooting. And, I'm not trying to argue with anyone. I'm trying to express my thoughts and ideas on the subject in order to resolve any descrepancies in our thought processes.

I'm not sure I completely understand all the concepts being discussed here. Now, I'm even questioning my current understanding of the words; split, transition, timing, etc.

It seems to me that one proposed answer to my question was that it's faster to move the gun than to let it return. I'm interpreting move to = transition time and return = split time. Maybe that's where I'm wrong but if I'm interpreting correctly, my split times are identical to my transition times so I don't understand how that explains why my 2-2-2 is faster than my Bill Drill. :(

I'm new to the game. I indulge in as many ideas and concepts that I can in order to learn. I analyze and rationalize them and try to see how I can apply it to my shooting. I don't mean to come off as argumentative or derogatory, it's just the way I learn.

:unsure:

<<scratching head>>

Sniper, didn't mean to make you think that was directed at you, as it wasn't... sorry.

Learning is good. Never stop.

Carry on! ;)

About the "scoop" that Matt mentioned on your draw and presentation. I noticed too, though I had to watch several times before I was sure that's what I was seeing. Matt must have very quick eyes! :rolleyes:

Basically (and I think this is what he's getting at) your hands come together on the gun fairly low and as you push the gun out, you still have quite a ways to go to get the gun far enough up so that you can find the dot.

Do some slow draws and really exaggerate bringing the gun up so that the dot is at eye level before you start the push out. You'll notice that you can find the dot much quicker. This translates to a faster first shot.

Once you get the gun up high enough that you can find the dot, sorta just let it coast straight out toward the target. Once you verify target acquisition, break your shot. I expect you'll find that you are now breaking the shot before your arms are extended. You might even get off 2 or 3 shots while still extending your arms to your natural position. I've been able to get off first shots in the .8's with my Cowboy guns using this technique, a guy I practice with regularly is in the .7's. I figure an open gun would be quicker to verify target acquisition than the sight picture on an SA revolver.

As you get used to the different track that the gun takes, speed it up. It's pretty comfortable. Just don't keep your hands so close to your body that you feel cramped.

But then I teach Cowboy shooters :blink:. Good thing a lot of the techniques translate both ways.

Joel

Ron,

Physical skills are not nec. what win most matches - truly not what win the big matches. The mental is the game, the physical is the prep.

It does not matter what you are capable of in practice or even what your classification is, what you do in a match is all that is scored.

Hence our collection of "grandbaggers" we now have in our sport.

I agree that what a person can do in practice doesn't mean squat if you can't deliver in a match. Still, the easiest stages a shooter will encounter at a match are generally the classifiers.

As for all this business about grandbaggers, that issue isn't as cut and dried as it appears. I'll start another thread on that little topic.