Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bushnell 1-6.5x24, how do you guys feel about yours?

I've really been intrigued by this scope with the BTR-2 reticle. I all ready have a couple of FFP Mil scopes and now that I understand the Mil reticle I find I prefer it to the hold over type reticle's.

A FFP reticle is easy to use cause the reticle is always on the same focal plane as the image so the Mil lines always work at any power setting.

With a SFP scope their's only gonna be one power setting where those Mil lines intersect with the image and can actually be used as Mil lines.

My Question is, with the SFP BTR-2 reticle, at what magnification can you use the Mil lines as Mil lines? 1X, 4X, 6.5X?

Jeff

The term you guys are looking for is called exit pupil. And there is a math problem that can calculate it in MM. I believe it's objective size / power. And as power goes up, the exit pupil is going to get smaller. The options are increasing the size of the objective lens or reducing power. In this case, 24/6.5=3.69. Ideally, for the brightest view, it would be quite a bit more than that, perhaps 2x that.

Unfortunately, the hole in your eye that gathers light can only be so big.

More info here:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Exit_pupil

I here what your saying about the math but just lookeda t a Leopold 2-12X42 VX-6. Using that math that comes to 42/12+3.5. You would need a 42mm with a power of 7 like a 1-8x42. This would give a 5.25 Exit Pupil.

Looking at Trijicon, there scopes are 3x24=8, 3x30,=10, 4x32=8. Gues thats why they have those numbers but there scopes are $1,100 to $1,800 if you want the red dot. Guess you get what you pay for but not the 6x power.

I bought a BTR-2 in FFP in their first release. Couldn't be more pleased, especially considering the price point compaired to other scopes out there in the same magnification class. Optical quality is great. I use ofset mount irons for 0-20 yards, 1x through the tube for 0-80 or so, and magnify past that. As mentioned previously, head position is important with any scope. Dry fire practice and forcing yourself into getting in and out of unconventional position (such as practicing with a barricade prop for low squat and lower, or rifle in canted position) makes good habits. My personal experience is that many, but not all shooters, who have issues with appearant tube diameter/exit pupil/head alignment, don't really practice enough. If they do, they practice in conventional and comfortable positions. Do the homework, meaning live fire and dry practice outside of prone and the bench, and this scope is appropriate for any level shooter.

Stand your ground.

divelong

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've had my old TA-11 for a while now and I really like it. I don't think I will be swapping it out anytime soon, I really just enjoy using it, and the donut reticle which I thought I would not like, I very much enjoy using. It's a completely different type of scope but I think I am more suited to it

• 3 weeks later...

I've been running one in FFP and love it. No other optic I know of can touch it for anywhere near the money. I've tried Aimpoints and Acogs, but prefer the versatility of the 1-6.5 for tac optic.

I shot TacIrons with an Aimpoint M4s almost all of last year, with the exception of my first attempt at 3-gun in March and 2 matches in HTO. I picked up the Bushnell mid-year and got the 1-6.5x24 in the FFP BTR-2 reticle.

At FB3G in Texas where it was overcast, I couldnt have possibly been happier. I shot the close stuff as fast as I did with my Aimpoint, then hit the distant stuff fairly easy as well.

IF the scope was daylight bright instead of the illumination fading to that brown/target color...this would be the perfect scope for me!

I am set up to shoot TacOps this year is pretty much every match and will be praying for clouds so my illumination shows up better for the close stuff. I may even talk to an electronics guru friend about the possibilities of changing resistors to brighten the illumination up a little....if successful, it would be worth losing the warranty for me...I only have $970 into the scope! :-)

• 1 year later...

My wife has been shooting one for a couple months and loves it...I am getting ready to sell the vortex 1-4 on my gun and go with Bushnell..Love that BTR-2....Also got a chance to compare 1-6 vortex and that scope on the same gun...damn the vortex is heavy! Both scopes looked great but I love the BTR-2 retical, cost less and weighed less.

I have been running my 1-6.5X BTR-2 on my new Build for the last 6 months and it is great. I do not use the reddot because the battery on last a day, but there is no need for it. I have ordered another for my son's rifle build.

Bruce

I've really been intrigued by this scope with the BTR-2 reticle. I all ready have a couple of FFP Mil scopes and now that I understand the Mil reticle I find I prefer it to the hold over type reticle's.

A FFP reticle is easy to use cause the reticle is always on the same focal plane as the image so the Mil lines always work at any power setting.

With a SFP scope their's only gonna be one power setting where those Mil lines intersect with the image and can actually be used as Mil lines.

My Question is, with the SFP BTR-2 reticle, at what magnification can you use the Mil lines as Mil lines? 1X, 4X, 6.5X?

Jeff

With the SFP you can use it with all powers, they mean different ranges for the mils at that distance. But for sighting in you use 6.5X setting to zero. I use Strelok+ to see what site picture will be for that Magnification (X) and what mil would be. But for most part you are zero'd at 200YDs it does not matter +- 4 inch from 25-250 yards and i set it to 6.5X at 150yds + so mils are the same all the time for me. 2X-3X at 25-150yds but use on center.

BGC

I purchased this scope on Monday, but it was the SFP BTR-1....I like it so far. I wanted a reticle that was not too busy.

Have anyone delat with Kenton Industries? I am interested in MOA turrets instead of mils.