Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rest for limited M&P?

cyprant

You know, I wasn't thinking about that at all, never ever given it any real thought since I'm pretty sure it's illegal per current rules. But, it looks like the rules are changing to allow it in the next couple of weeks? What ideas do you have, I'm thinking maybe replacing the roll pin and trigger pin with bolts that are threaded and screw into a mount on the other side and mounting a thumbrest up on the left side giving just enough room for the takedown lever to function between the two? Pretty much a smaller version of what this guy did with his optic mounted one. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=151673

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone thinking of how to mount a *thumb rest [generic]* on an M&P for limited this season yet?

After reading this thread I have an idea that'll I persue. Silver solder a piece of steel onto a spare take down lever, then grind and file to desired shape.Cold blue when finished.

What do you think?

That looks great. I've ordered one of the Speedledge units to try. I use a CR Speed WSM II for both my M&P limited and open guns. I think it will work with a thumb rest just fine.

Thanks. For a first try I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. Please post your review of the speedledge.

It looks like I can get a CR Speed WSM II and a Ghost for about the same price. I like the two point contact of the CR Speed but have no experience with either. Your recommendation helps. Thanks!

I shot the gun with my home made rest the other day, it felt pretty cool. A big plus is that it didn't fall off. :roflol:

After looking at a few holsters I decided to go with the Ghost. The owner of Shooters Connection, Chuck Bradley, promptly replied to all questions and thinks I may have to modify the holster block.

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Super-Ghost-Holster-font-colorredRIGHT-HANDfont-P374.aspx

I'll post an update after it arrives and I get some range time with it.

After seeing the link on this topic to the Speedledge product, I thought I'd give it a try thinking it would work with my CR Speed WSM2 holster that I use with my 5" limited gun and my M&P Major 9 gun. Since I have short thumbs, I ordered the long version. After attaching the Speedledge to the rear rail slot I found that was about the correct length but the pistol would not holster. If I moved the SL to the center rail slot the pistol would holster but the holster would need to have some modifications to allow for a normal draw stroke. Aside from the holster issues, the SL is not really designed for competition. I think the thumb pad itself is too small and at the wrong angle. The angle appears to be ~40 degrees from horizontal which is much less than most thumb rests I've seen. The thumb rest pad also is not centered on your thumb. It's left hand edge is centered on the middle of the thumb and I believe this would push the pistol to the right during recoil. I did not shoot the pistol with the SL attached so that is speculation on my part. In any case, I'm in the process of returning it.

After seeing the link on this topic to the Speedledge product, I thought I'd give it a try thinking it would work with my CR Speed WSM2 holster that I use with my 5" limited gun and my M&P Major 9 gun. Since I have short thumbs, I ordered the long version. After attaching the Speedledge to the rear rail slot I found that was about the correct length but the pistol would not holster. If I moved the SL to the center rail slot the pistol would holster but the holster would need to have some modifications to allow for a normal draw stroke. Aside from the holster issues, the SL is not really designed for competition. I think the thumb pad itself is too small and at the wrong angle. The angle appears to be ~40 degrees from horizontal which is much less than most thumb rests I've seen. The thumb rest pad also is not centered on your thumb. It's left hand edge is centered on the middle of the thumb and I believe this would push the pistol to the right during recoil. I did not shoot the pistol with the SL attached so that is speculation on my part. In any case, I'm in the process of returning it.

I ordered some more takedown levers to play with another design idea. (parts are backordered). What angle do you think would work best? Are you saying the speed ledge is too narrow?

Thanks for your review.

Steve

Yes, I think the one I received was to narrow. I did correspond with them a couple of times today and they sent a picture of a new product that may work better. They also indicated I could request a "competition" pad that would be bigger. I'll see if I can get the picture on this post. This was the message: If you decide to order such a model now or in the future, simply choose a Large SL with Long Arm, and write in block letters "LARGE COMPETITION THUMB PAD". Seem to be good people to work with. I can only guess at the correct angle for this but I would guess somewhere around 60 degrees or so.

Yes, I think the one I received was to narrow. I did correspond with them a couple of times today and they sent a picture of a new product that may work better. They also indicated I could request a "competition" pad that would be bigger. I'll see if I can get the picture on this post. This was the message: If you decide to order such a model now or in the future, simply choose a Large SL with Long Arm, and write in block letters "LARGE COMPETITION THUMB PAD". Seem to be good people to work with. I can only guess at the correct angle for this but I would guess somewhere around 60 degrees or so.

That's really nice that they are willing to work with you on this. They have a lot to gain if you show their product is viable solution for an affordable thumb rest for comp. shooters. I'd like to see a picture of the WIDE model or recommended width you think would work.

Steve

I shot the gun with my home made rest the other day, it felt pretty cool. A big plus is that it didn't fall off. :roflol:

After looking at a few holsters I decided to go with the Ghost. The owner of Shooters Connection, Chuck Bradley, promptly replied to all questions and thinks I may have to modify the holster block.

http://www.shootersc...Dfont-P374.aspx

I'll post an update after it arrives and I get some range time with it.

The Super Ghost arrived and works awesome, my thumb lever doesn't come near it at all. I don't see how the speed ledge would work with this holster unless there was some MAJOR grinding being done.

I sure wish I'd get my extra takedown levers because I think my next idea is much better than the first one. I don't want to take a lever out of one of my other guns and I really don't want to take this first one apart fo a "maybe better" idea.

Hopefully Sunday will be a live fire practice session with this new set up.