Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When you try to help someone...

BigDave

I am not going into specifics, but it really burns my ass when I make an honest, good faith effort to assist someone (keep them from being taken advantage of) and they, in turn, crawfish and accuse me of trying to screw them!!!  This world, I swear, needs a enema.  Does anyone trust anyone anymore?

Sorry folks, I just had to vent.  This is about as harmless an environment as they come.

Hey Big Dave, I understand.

I try not to let things like this get me down.

If you know in your heart that you did the right thing while trying to help people out that's all that matters.

I try to take the high road and not stoop to some peoples level.

It is hard though....especially when you want to bash their head in...lol

Curious post as I am going through something similiar with my sister-in-law.

It's like the old saying, what is the difference between in-laws and out-laws???

Out-laws are wanted...

Thanx bird

would you believe it if I told you that this is a work matter and not a "personal" matter.  i am trying to keep a customer from being screwed, and they throw it back on me!!! I guess thats what I get for taking my job personally and caring!!!  I think this is a symptom of a world that just doesn't really give a rats ass about too much anymore.  But do you know what???  I am glad that I am so erked right now, if I wasn't, then I really would be worried.  If that makes any sense to you at all, it does to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Dave,

I hear you.  It happens, but if you can, put your shields up and let it go.  You're a long time dead and in 30 days, the event is insignificant.

Sometimes it helps to remember that the best reason to be polite, conscientious or helpful is that you get pleasure out of doing so.  It's for you, the others merely have the freedom of choice to benefit from your actions or be a narrow minded weasel oxygen thief.

Cheers,

Ross

For reference I offer "Who is John Galt?"

• 2 weeks later...

I have to ditto Ross on this one -- right down to the avatar (you have great taste, Ross ).

The great tragedy here would not be that you got bitten for trying to help someone out, but that, like an infection, that bite would embitter you and -- horrors! -- maybe even make you do the same thing to someone else someday. Somehow, I don't think that will happen, thankfully.

People that hurt other people usually do it because they're blinded by pain themselves. Not much comfort when you're nursing a wound, but good to remember if you have to deal with such a person on an ongoing basis.

And even really screwed-up people can change for the better. I consider myself living proof (a story for another time).

So stay cool! As Ross points out: the real beneficiary of your kindness is yourself.

Best regards,

LOA