Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another 9mm 125 gr vs. 147 gr question

blacklab2011

tried 115's in my P226 and didnt like the feel at all. decided to focus on 124/147s, and found the 147's are more accurate in my gun. Also liked the recoil impulse of the 147's. YMMV of course and each gun/shooter will have their preferences.

I tried a couple thousand 147s after testing with about 500. I felt like the slide was really sluggish. Tried 3.4gr and 3.7gr. Win 231 and settled on the 3.7 charge. Thing was, when I tested the 2 loads against a 125gr @ 4.3gr 231, the results came out that the 147gr @ 3.4 was the fastest. (BTW, I loaded marked mags with each load, stuck them all in my pocket, and loaded them into the gun with my eyes closed. Didn't want to spoil the test based on "opinion". Made a plate rack run for time, and recorded them by number. 6 runs with each load. Also used a .22 with 6 runs for a control. The 3.4 load was as fast as the .22!) My biggest issue is with the long nose on the 147s causing some FTF and other assorted issues. This year I'm testing the 135gr Bayous. Pick one and practice! I shoot all steel BTW. No PF to worry about. Just what runs my guns...

Keep us up to date on your testing of the BBL 135's. I am going back and forth right now trying to decide between 147 and 135 Bayou Bullets.

Shooting a 9mm STI Trojan. I like the feel of heavier bullets and use Frontier Plated 147's and lead 160's loaded with Solo 1000.

Running the gun with lightened springs 10lb recoil and a 15lb mainspring. Very little mussel rise and the slide doesn't feel sluggish.

The 160gn lead is an old 38 Super bullet with lots of bearing surface, accurate.

Takes a little tuning to get them to work out but worth it.

Thanks for the feedback guys....I found the Bayou 135's on their website. I sent a email checking on availability, anyone have an idea if they are in stock? Anyone have a good recipe for 135 gr Bayou with WST or solo 1000 (powder options I'm looking at). Currently shooting a Glock 34.

Edited by blacklab2011

Been shooting 124 gr fmj in a G19 and a Browning Hi Power. Load is accurate with 4.4 grs of 231. Have tried the 147 and the 115. Do not like them and the pistols do not like them. It is a matter of what you (the shooter) feels best to you. The snap you may feel from a 115 is not as snappy in a 124 and may feel like a push in a 147. So it goes back to what feels right for you and works in the pistol.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered 2 pounds of N320 and it cost $104......didn't want to order more than 2 pounds in case I didn't think it was better than the cheaper Titegroup...

Did you end up making a decision on that? I'm between ordering VV 320, VV 340, or Titegroup.