Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flavored Fried Pork Rinds

short_round

Hot'N Spicy is the best over the counter. If you're really lucky you'll find a Fillipino place that sells it with with fat and meat still on it. :wub: Mix some your favorite white vinegar and Tabasco together for a dipping sauce and you've got yourself a heart attack snack that can't be beat!

Lino,

Do you dip the chicharones in hot sauce? My aunts and uncles used to do that when I was a kid. I tried it and liked it. The chicharones make a good carrier for that hot as hell sauce my grandmother made.

Liota

Hi Liota!

Just the thought of the hot sauce makes my eyes water. I prefer a vinegar dip with onions, garlic, some diced small chili, and a touch of fish sauce (thailand fish sauce is best).

Lino

Lino,

If your name tells me anything about your heritage, I would bet your sauce has a bit of heat to it. It's probably warmer than my grandmother's sauce. My experience is that the chili peppers from the Far East are somewhat warmer than anything from the Southwest US, save possibly the Jabanero. The little red ones in the Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese and Korean dishes I've tried make my mouth water, my nose run and various other things. Wow! They're good in small doses.

Generally, I didn't like the chicharones by themselves. Much like tortilla chips, they are just a carrier for the sauce.

L

hahahaha!! chicharones dipped in white vinegar, garlic and chilli peppers! Eaten best with your favorite cold beverage! available in all hispanic markets and filipino stores!

The Bird's eye peppers (siling labuyo) is one of the hottest in the chilli pepper scale. Jabaneros don't taste the same! They're available in some oriental stores.

you guys should learn how to make them!!! get some pork skin and trim off excess fat. cut into about 1 1/2 in. squares and boil until the fat and skin turns opaque about 1-2 hours. you can use a pressure cooker. drain and air dry over night until there's no more liquid dripping. Heat cooking oil about 2 inches deep in a wok until hot. Drop the air dried pork rinds into the hot oil until it pops! Season with salt. Chilli powder is optional! Enjoy!

set an appointment with your internist in the moring as you watch your BP shoot-up! hahaha!!!

For those who don't know what an "omentum" is, I know I had to look it up, here is a definition.

-ld

O`men´tum:

Noun 1. omentum - a fold of peritoneum supporting the viscera

peritoneum - a transparent membrane that lines the abdominal cavity in mammals and covers most of the viscera

caul, gastrocolic omentum, greater omentum - part of the peritoneum attached to the stomach and to the colon and covering the intestines

lesser omentum - a part of the peritoneum attached to the stomach and liver and supporting the hepatic vessels 

we asians eat a lot of stuff caucasians find inedible! hahahaha!!! you name it, it's probably in the freezer already!!! right cousin rhino???

:lol:

most asian cuisine share the same blend of tastes: sweet, sour, salty and spicy!!! the hotter the better!!!

:D

Oh, I am not putting it down, I just never heard of it before. While I am not descended from inhabitants of the Caucuses I am from the South (of the United States) where the pig is treated like a friggin' pinata and people eat pretty much every bit of it. I have tried many different and bizarre foods and will, no doubt, try more. I do draw the line at balut's however. Then again after enough beer I might even try that! :ph34r:

-ld

"The little red ones in the Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese and Korean dishes I've tried make my mouth water, my nose run and various other things. Wow! They're good in small doses."
Ahhhh... they are both subtle and not-so-subtle...! Wonderful flavor and wonderful effect. I ALWAYS order "hot" Asian dishes when eating out. Mmmmm.... love it!!! Hot is good. :wub:

ld: Balut? the balut is an aphrodisiac!!! 1-2 balut eggs will turn you into a love machine!!! hahaha!!! :lol:

To all those who're not familiar what a balut is, it's actually the duck embryo! The duck eggs are boiled with the young chick already forming.

Well majority of exotic cuisine is actually an acquired taste. I for one will taste/eat pretty much anything!

Bon apetit!