L10 Rules question

jnshapiro

Limited 10 Division (Pg. 97)

Special conditions:

18. External modifications such as weights, or devices to control or reduce

recoil are specifically not allowed, such as but not limited to, thumb rest,

extended slide stops, etc.

There's the rule. What exactly is referred to as an "extended slide stop?"

Is the one on my blaster ok? It certainly doesn't help me to control recoil, but is there instead to make it easer to reach. I have small hands. The one on my blaster looks like:

ss2.jpg

It's not very large. I don't think it's any wider than the original stock one on the Springfield. Just a little longer.

To me it sounds like the goal is to outlaw these:

ss1.jpg

If not, I'll have to go see if I can dredge up my old stock one.

How bout some clarification?

Thanks!

Joel

Ugh... dammit, Arnie. Something else I have to address in the next email (which I'm still working on... figured I'd give y'all time to deal with the Nats first). IMO this rule is designed to disallow external modifications designed to reduce/control recoil. Since the purpose of the "device" is not recoil-oriented (just like the purpose of the non-ported hybrid barrel isn't recoil-oriented, but sight-oriented ;) ), but rather is designed to make manipulating the gun easier (just like a mag release button), it doesn't fall under the main category of "external modifications... to control or reduce recoil."

Fun fun!!! :D

Joel, Your slide stop is not a device or external weight to control recoil. I would think it's OK.

"External modifications such as weights, or devices to control or reduce

recoil are specifically not allowed" This is what the rule is for and this "such as but not limited to, thumb rest, extended slide stops, etc." is just some non-specific examples.

Joel: Why would you want the dang thing on your gun anyway? Aren't these known to cause trouble (slide inadvertently locking open due to inertia)? Didn't Plaxco always say "the reason the good Lord gave you a left thumb is to drop the slide on a .45"?

I'm gonna be playing with that. I've been away from shooting a 1911 for quite a while and need to refamiliarize myself with it. I might go back to a normal size one after a while.

I've about 5000 rounds through it since that went in and never had the slide lock open on me.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

My problem with the extended slide stops is that my thumb can easily activate the thing when I don't want it activated. Nothing but a problem waiting to happen for me. Unless I shoot IDPA I rarely need the slide stop anyway.