Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

building an STI 9mm upper for limited .40 questions

j28s

How hard would it be to build a 9mm top end (slide & barrel) for a Brazos SC Limited in .40? I understand they need to be fitted to the frame, but is it feasible that an STI 9mm slide and barrel (already built) would work? Just didn't know how complex it would be to have this done. If you had to guess, what would you guestimate a 9mm top end would be? Didn't know if it would make better sense just get a top end built or buy a seperate STI 2011 gun in 9mm. Thanks in advance.

I just had that done. I started with a 5" Eagle in .40SW, and purchased the 9mm slide, barrel, bushing, FP, FPS, extractor, and front/rear sights. Total cost in parts IIRC was just under $650. Add to that the cost for having a GS fit everything together and finish the slide. The .40SW ejector is OK with 9mm, ditto with the slide stop, FLGR and plug. So at the end of the project you could be into it anywhere from $800 to $1,000 depending on a few things such as what kind of finish you want on it. Cost of a new 2011 is $1,700-2,000-ish?

I still intend to use the .40SW top-end as my back-up Limited Div pistol, so my GS only fitted the 9mm slide to the frame and did not mod the frame in anyway that would cause it to be sloppy when I put the .40's slide back on it.

I forgot how much fun a 9mm in a full size 1911/2011 could be! Don't forget about getting 9mm mags.

this switcheroo top end 1911/2011 thread comes up repeatedly over the years. These guns are not modular like Glocks, the answer is almost always the same. It tends to never make economic sense. And you still dont really have a backup gun. Better off just buying one in the caliber you want.