Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bill O'Brien's practice diary

bill o

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I had a bit of a regression the past couple weeks. Lots of multiple shots on steel and generally poor accuracy. This was after I was hitting 92% of points for the first time ever.

So I've been doing a solid hour of dry fire every day this week focusing only on trigger control on long/partial targets. My sights are staying perfectly still throught the trigger pull now, and I can't wait to see the difference this makes in live fire practice this weekend.

Good stuff at practice today. I did El Prez again to see if the things I worked on in dry fire this week made a difference compared with last week.

1. 180s are way better than 140s. My gun is recoiling straight back now, which is a relief.

2. Consciously working on trigger control all week helped a lot. I had no mikes and only a couple D's all day going balls out. I'm not drilling the A zone like I want yet, but I'm getting there.

3. Toward the end of practice I experimented with shooting with arms bent noticeably, and it was awesome. I tracked my sights better and my splits/transitions dropped by five hundredths right away. My fastest run of the day until then 5.2, then I hit 4.88 with a couple charlies. I think this is a big change I needed for getting the sights back on the A-zone, then on to the next target.

• 1 month later...

Well if you're going to twist my arm... I've been practicing gripping the gun really, really hard and pulling the trigger straight back. That's pretty much it. Going to do some more Frank Garcia dot drills this weekend and really work on the trigger control.

Well if you're going to twist my arm... I've been practicing gripping the gun really, really hard and pulling the trigger straight back. That's pretty much it. Going to do some more Frank Garcia dot drills this weekend and really work on the trigger control.

Harvard Sunday sir?

I made M in production today. The dry fire routine I've been doing seems to be working pretty well and I'm focusing on maintaining good fundamentals with draws, reloads and movement. I think a little refinement in trigger control is what I need to get to GM now. The only way to get more live fire time, unfortunately, is to shoot indoors on a weeknight, so I think I'll just have to suck it up and get some plated bullets and good 3M mask.

I made M in production today. The dry fire routine I've been doing seems to be working pretty well and I'm focusing on maintaining good fundamentals with draws, reloads and movement. I think a little refinement in trigger control is what I need to get to GM now. The only way to get more live fire time, unfortunately, is to shoot indoors on a weeknight, so I think I'll just have to suck it up and get some plated bullets and good 3M mask.

Congrats again!

shooting indoors isn't all that bad, just remember to turn the fan on! I shoot indoors with the crew every weds night during the winter months and just look at me; the picture of health and normalcy :surprise:

Congrats again! Bill, you are better than anyone I know at getting the most out of your limited time at the range. Dry fire has certainly carried you a long way. I think your assessment is solid. I'd only caution you about doing too much indoor practice. Be careful of lead exposure! I had crazy lead issues that I'm 100% sure were due to indoor shooting. When you shoot indoor lead dust get on everything. I've posted lots about my exposure issues on this forum. Stay safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill those runs looked pretty darn good to me. One for one on steel, great gun handling. I know your plan was to go a little conservative... but I think you can move faster between positions... being young like you are. :roflol:

• 4 weeks later...

I shot A7's this past weekend. It was only my second major match, and my first in two years. The match was exceptionally well run, staff and squadmates were awesome, and the sponsors were generous. I was the raffle winner of a Sig 1911. Thank you, Sig!

Generally I had trouble hitting every target, especially swingers. I need to practice those. 100 penalty points across 10 stages is no good. Stage planning was troublesome for me as well. I didn't inspect the stages the day before, and a 5-minute walkthrough is not enough for some of the more demanding stages.

I'm going to devote my next few practice sessions to shot calling and drills with long partial targets, 20 yard plate rack. I need to be more confident I can hit every shot.

Ending on a postitive note, here's stage 3 where I came in 4th.

Hi Bill, there's only one way to practice swingers that I know off... if you don't have access to them I do. NB does a fair amount of swingers too. If you want to get out there let me know. As discussed- at a major match you gotta get out their the day before to walk thru... either that or get up real early. Eliminate all variables that can hurt you- make sure your gun works, your ammo works, KNOW the stage plans ahead of time, etc. Then just SHOOT. Let your shooting dictate the match- nothing else.

It was indeed a great match IMO, I hope Sig hosts it next year again!

Nice run on that stage Bill.... fwiw I did it exactly the same. ;)

• 10 months later...

Wow it's been a while since I updated this.

I had an awesome practice today and I'm feeling exhilarated about the rest of the season. The drill today was the accelerator. I started off kind of crappy, even getting D hits on the close target. This had been happening a lot this year, getting bad hits without calling them, then walking up to the target and saying "WTF how did that happen?" Typically the gun feels kind of floppy in recoil, as the front sight goes up then dips way down into the D zone, and seems to oscillate a few times before settling in. It would feel like the 2nd shot broke as the gun was still flopping around. Not good.

So I got kind of pissed today and went back to the fundamentals. I decided to consciously grip the gun as hard as possible with my support hand, then did a 5.3 second run with 2 C's. With just this one change I started hitting A's and close C's and started to enjoy shooting again.

It's weird because I honestly do grip hard in dry fire practice, and I'm pretty sure of this because my left hand and forearm get sore. But in live fire I must have been slacking, so when the gun recoiled in my weak grip I was flipping my hands back down and over-driving the gun. The whole thing makes sense to me now because I can always get a good group of A hits on a 7 yard Bill drill. It's probably because when firing 6 shots on one target, you know intuitively that you really have to drive the gun with a tight grip.

So, gripping hard and locking the support hand wrist results in more As when shooting fast. I probably should have figured this out sooner and not blamed trigger control alone. But I feel like I made a breakthrough in my shooting today.

I did wide transitions in live fire today and was pretty happy with improvement after a dismal classifier match this past weekend. A few dry fire sessions earlier in the week focused on this, and just making the conscious decision to keep the sights on the target for the second shot, then transition to the next target, worked wonders. A lot of this shooting stuff is just common sense.

El Pres was a bit rough. I think I overdid it on the grip on my strong hand. Lots of low left shots (D's and M's), especially on the second shots. So I think I was squeezing with all my fingers and just yanking shots all over the place. I'll need to figure out how to squeeze with just my trigger finger when I'm going full speed.

Focus for dry fire this week in preparation for shooting-on-the-move live fire on Wednesday:

- Grip hard with left hand, isolate trigger finger.

- Keep upper body relaxed, knees bent to steady sights and improve transitions.

- Consciously think about firing two distinct aimed shots on every A-zone. Visual patience.

There are only 27 more hours of dry fire practice and 4 or 5 live fire practices before A7.