Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

About grip strength

Rosshooting

Is it wrong if my two handed grip is pretty tight but not too much strong? I think if I made stronger grip, trigger pulling is appears. It is obvious that I must work on clearly separating my index finger move but is it normal when the grip is too strong sometimes to dive the gun down?

I think the key to keep the same amount of grip tension throughout the shot and follow through. That's much more important than whether you have a loose or gorilla grip. If the gun is diving down, it probably means that you are flexing your pinkie and/or ring finger a little more after you press the trigger.

I agree with Flex. The more I shoot, the more I am finding that I need to grip with my weak hand. I used to think 50/50 for strong and weak hand grip tension, but now I am trying to go for 40/60 or 30/70 strong to weak hand grip. This is especially important on up close "Hose them" type stages, since you need to keep your strong hand relexed to pull the trigger quickly and cleanly, and avoid trigger freeze. I work on building the strenght of my weak hand, and pretty much let my strong hand take care of itself.

but is it normal when the grip is too strong sometimes to dive the gun down?
Nose dive commonly is the result of one of two things:

1) Anticipation push to fight recoil.

2) Sympathy squeeze of the strong hand fingers when you pull the trigger. When you are dry firing, take your normal grip and then clench your strong hand while looking through the sights. The barrel always goes down and usually a little left (for a right hander).

When I reduce power from my strong hand this problem disappear or happens not very often. Basically I feel myself more confident when the weak hand make the grip tight and the strong hand just helps. Is it correct? I know about 60/40 power to the weak hand but I feel the week hand almost completely that it’s the guiding one.