Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello- No shooter here with a few questions about rifles for 3G tourny

SoCalNoMore

I am very interested in participating in local 3G Tactical tournaments around Florida. Hopefully you experts can assist me with my first purchase of an AR. There sure are a lot of options.

To get me started, I don't mind buying a used rifle with minimal options (furniture?).

I have exhausted my research time and have come to the conclusion that the following manufacturers make my top list.

LWRC M6-A2

JP CTR-02

Stag 3G

POF

If any one has a strong opinion for another brand, please let me know. Since this is my first rifle I would like to buy something that is ready out of the box if possible.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

JP15. No need for the extra cost and weight of the Billet receivers. This will be ready to compete out of the box.

Stag 3G. Quality build with a terible comp. Swap out the comp and you are ready to compete.

The other two are quality ARs, just not as well suited to the game.

I think you may have overlooked one of the best rifles for the price out there. I run the Colt Competition Pro CRP-18, same rifle Clint Upchurch runs. It's perfect right out of the box at MSRP of $1700, street price a good bit lower. Excellant rifle, excellant comp ( they run the SureFire comp) lots of Magpul parts, It's chambered in 223 Wylde so you can run .223 of 5.56 and you can't beat their tool less adjustable gas block to dial your rifle in just right for your load.

The only thing you have to do is drop a good optic on it, since I run open I run the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6 with the JM-1 BDC reticle and a Vortex Razor red dot mounted on one of Matt Burkett's Preditor Tactical mounts. You can't go wrong with that set up.

I think you may have overlooked one of the best rifles for the price out there. I run the Colt Competition Pro CRP-18, same rifle Clint Upchurch runs. It's perfect right out of the box at MSRP of $1700, street price a good bit lower. Excellant rifle, excellant comp ( they run the SureFire comp) lots of Magpul parts, It's chambered in 223 Wylde so you can run .223 of 5.56 and you can't beat their tool less adjustable gas block to dial your rifle in just right for your load.

The only thing you have to do is drop a good optic on it, since I run open I run the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6 with the JM-1 BDC reticle and a Vortex Razor red dot mounted on one of Matt Burkett's Preditor Tactical mounts. You can't go wrong with that set up.

Where is the Colt CRP-18 available for under $1,700 that has been "in stock" within the last 6 months? I paid $1740 and that was the best deal going, Big Sky Guns.

OP get the JP15, you will have an excellent rifle that is ready to compete with.

JP-15 ,

What part of FL are you in? I shoot a couple of matches in the Central and South Florida.

The Stag and Colt are not as readily available as JP.Plus JP does a lot for our sport. I have sold many M6's they are nice rifles(gunshop I worked at) , but

like Mark said would not work to well with 3 gun .

Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate the feed back. I have looked at the JP-15 and it seems it will suit my beginner needs very well. However, the only ones I have found for sale are $2,100++. I was able to reserve a Stag 3G for $1,359 (10 weeks delivery). If anyone sees or hears about a good deal on a JP-15 let me know. Otherwise I don't mind waiting a few months for the Stag.

@Sthrngr- I am on Palm Beach area. I plan on spectatiing at the next 3G tourny in Okeechobee, I believe its in Jan, no?

Update to my purchase. As you all know panic buying has been rampant of the last few days. So I was not able to get the Stag G3 unfortunately. This put me in a predicament since I was literally watching AR's fly off the shelves here in South Florida. Many phone calls today put even more of a damper on my potential purchase. I was open to buying almost anything I could get my hands, but capitalism (of which I am a fan) got the best of some store owners as they jacked their pricing way up. Fortunately for me, a really good store manager at my local range was a stand up guy and honored the sale price of the Colt CRE 18 I had looked at yesterday. When I went to get it today the price was back at MSRP, however he knew I was looking at last night and marked it back down to the sale price of $1400. I know its not the best price around for what I got, but I really could not find anything else close to what I need 3Gun comps next year. Even had a friend in Texas shopping for me, to no avail.

So, to make short story long....... I now have the Colt and am looking for my upgrades. I already purchased a Timney Trigger 3# I was able to get a really good deal on. It was also one of the top 3 reco trigs.

Still on my list is an adj gas block. Looking at JP and Syrac. Question for all of you patient enough to read all of this. Why would I want or not want a clamp on gas block vs the slide on?

Also on my wish list is a scope mount. I have read and been told that LaRue and JP. Is there a particular model number I need to look for, or style. There are so many options I get lost.

For my scope I have settled on a Burris MTAC 1x4x20. I hope there is only one type, otherwise I will be lost again.

Depending on the market, I will go with a Benny Hill Rolling Thunder comp or Nordic Corvette. What reason would I want Stainless vs. Aluminum?

Also, am I going to want/need Iron sites? If so which ones, flip up or fixed?

thanks again for all of your help. Lets hope that Obama doesnt put a damper on our sport. I am very excited to get involved in sport shooting.

There is no benefit to a set screw gas block over a clamp style. The Syrac is the best adjustable on the market, just get it in clamp style.

The JP mounts work for 1" or 30mm (for the Burris 1-4 MTAC (yes there is only one) just don't use the inserts) and is what I would suggest.

The Nordic Corvette and BHRT are both stainless comps...you don't want an aluminum comp. The Nordic is smaller, lighter, less $, tuneable and effective.

You don't want or need irons with the 1-4 MTAC.

There is no benefit to a set screw gas block over a clamp style. The Syrac is the best adjustable on the market, just get it in clamp style.

The JP mounts work for 1" or 30mm (for the Burris 1-4 MTAC (yes there is only one) just don't use the inserts) and is what I would suggest.

The Nordic Corvette and BHRT are both stainless comps...you don't want an aluminum comp. The Nordic is smaller, lighter, less $, tuneable and effective.

You don't want or need irons with the 1-4 MTAC.

That is great MarkCO, thanks again for the help. I will add your suggestions to my wish list.

Edited by SoCalNoMore

With the frenzy that's taking place right now, count yourself very lucky to get that rifle for the price you did! My son called me yesterday from Alaska wanting advice on how to find an AR-15. He's a 12 veteran of the Army (civilian now) and has a lot of guns, but has never bought an AR-15. I've been telling him for years to quit stalling and get one if he wanted one. My advice to him yesterday was "If you can find one today and can afford the price do it! Do NOT wait until tomorrow, it will probably be gone."

Congrats on your purchase! :cheers:

Edited by 392heminut

Well, the pursuit continues. It seems my JP mounts are somewhere between here and eternity. What would be next best option for mounts? Maybe go with a cheap set for now while I get familiar with the setup and wait for the JP's? Got a great deal on an MTAC and I wont go ghetto and tape it the top of my rig!! j/k

One thing to consider, I am 6"7" with a 7 7/8 head size. Do any of you think I would need a mount like the LaRue with extended eye relief since my melon is so big? Also, what about the mount height, maybe the taller one 1.93" vs 1.5". Sure wish there was someone with both nearby so I could try 'em before buying.

Anyhow, whats your thoughts?

Edited by SoCalNoMore

Well, the pursuit continues. It seems my JP mounts are somewhere between here and eternity. What would be next best option for mounts? Maybe go with a cheap set for now while I get familiar with the setup and wait for the JP's? Got a great deal on an MTAC and I wont go ghetto and tape it the top of my rig!! j/k

One thing to consider, I am 6"7" with a 7 7/8 head size. Do any of you think I would need a mount like the LaRue with extended eye relief since my melon is so big? Also, what about the mount height, maybe the taller one 1.93" vs 1.5". Sure wish there was someone with both nearby so I could try 'em before buying.

I think the larue spr-e 1.93 is what you are looking for

I would go with one of these;

ld

Well, the pursuit continues. It seems my JP mounts are somewhere between here and eternity. What would be next best option for mounts? Maybe go with a cheap set for now while I get familiar with the setup and wait for the JP's?

I would go with one of these;

http://swfa.com/Burris-AR-PEPR-30mm-Scope-Mount-P12623.aspx

You can always sell it here after you get the JP mount.

Just wanted to update the thread. I just spoke to Al of Talbot mounts (someone in another thread had suggested his mount) and place an order for one of his QC mounts with rings. Given I was not able to find the popular brands around I decided to give his mount try. He has a money back no questions asked guarantee, so you cant beat that. I will post here after I have tried it out to let you all know my thoughts on it. If interested, his addy is tablot dot us

Have a great Christmas!