Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What competitions is a Match good for?

LuciferSam

Hello all,

I've got a Witness elite match in .45. I may look into competition shooting down the line, so I'm wondering what classes the witness qualifies for with different slides, if any, and what the .45 might be good for. I was thinking of getting a 9mm kit for it, but it looks like I might be better getting .40? I really don't understand much about competition, power factors and so on right now. I'm mainly asking to so that I'll have an idea of what path I should go down with future purchases, and what they'll let me do.

I understand that the .45 would be good for USPSA limited 10, but thats all the information I've gotten. I really havent gotten any IDPA information on it.

One other thing, out of curosity, how much do slides like the hunter 10mm slides, long slides and such cost? I didnt even know you could get those till I looked through this forum a bit.

Thanks very much.

I would stick to L10 with the .45 just because of tje reduced capacity of the lager round. If you want to shoot limited then .40 would be the best because of the extra cap and full power .40 ammo scores major. Since its not on the approved production list there isnt any real reason to get a 9mm

You could run L-10 as previously stated, IDPA ESP (I think), and Steel Challenge centerfire. You can run Limited in USPSA with a .40 or 9mm. IMHO the 9mm is just fine, but many people feel like you're giving points away. That is probably the case at a high level, but until you can shoot just as many A's with a .40 as you can a 9mm (in the same time) then you do NOT have an advantage shooting the .40.

As far as the 6" slide goes, you won't be able to find an over the counter holster to fit a match fram with a 6" slide. The only holsters right now that a 6" gun will fit in are the ones that lock on the trigger guard, and those are made to fit the "custom" frame (square trigger guard). You could have one made though.

I picked up a used Match (40s&w) this weekend from another forum member here and I plan to use it for USPSA Limited & Limited 10 divisions. With the Canyon Creek magwell on it, I don't think it will fit in the IDPA Box to play in ESP. If you intend to shoot IDPA with it, you may need to look for a smaller magwell if you intend to install one.

Thanks for the information.

So, just to double check, I'm good for:

USPSA-

.45 in Limited 10

.40 and 9mm in Limited with 9 taking a scoring penalty, but good for beginners

IDPA-

ESP, maybe (its stock)

Steel challenge.

Would it be usable in a multi-gun competition? I like the looks of that, but that would also be down the line. Further down the line

As far as the long slides and hunter slide, I was just asking what they cost. My interest is more because I'd might like to have one than I'd be using it in competition.

As for IDPA without the magwell, you are good for ESP in 45, 40, or 9mm all scored the same. So 9mm would have the least recoil and allow you to shoot faster in theory. I am pretty sure you could use the Match in 45 in IDPA CDP as well since it is a 45. You can also shoot the 40 and 9mm in Limited 10 as well as Limited.

EAA's webstore has the slides for between $245 - $285 it looks like. I am not sure if Henning Walgren carries full slides, but Henning is THE guy to contact about Tanfoglios. He has great parts, tremendous service, and FAST shipping. Definitely get in touch with Henning for anything you would need for your Match.

.40 and 9mm in Limited with 9 taking a scoring penalty, but good for beginners

Would it be usable in a multi-gun competition? I like the looks of that, but that would also be down the line. Further down the line

So USPSA scoring is points per second, so with a lower recoil gun you should be able to shoot a tad faster. Also you only "loose" points if you don't hit the A-zone. A-zone hits are scored the same for both major and minor PF. So its a wash IMHO between major and minor until you can run a major gun like CHA-LEE.

And yes it would be a good multi-gun pistol. I would run 9mm myself, but you could run .40 as well. The 9mm would best for everything except MGM spinners. Those take a lot to move and the .40 would take less hits to spin it. Other than that though the .40 is a disadvantage.