Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forward scope mount M1A

hopalong

OK now that the line is drawn in the sand.... :ph34r:

I know Clay and the guys at Arkansas have up to 600 yds to shoot rifle, (don't expect to shoot that far though) <_<

I am using the M1A scout/Squad rifle and at this time have an aimpoint with a 3 min. dot.

If you notice the Scout/Squad rifle has a forward mount (on the barrel in front of the reciever)

I feel we will be shooting 300 yds and at that distance the red dot will cover the inteded target up if I have it turned up very much and by the numbers if I have a perfict rifle and can shoot it one hole at 100 yds the best I could get is a nine inch group that means accuracy is on the poor side to say the least. :angry:

I have a Burris 1 1/2 x 5 Pistol scope I can put on it as I don't want Benny and Kurt to absolutely smoke me too bad. :blink:

Should I try this set up or get a different dot with a 1MOA ?

Have been using the dot set up for about a year now ...

Yes Kurt I might listen if you don't lead me to astray....

Hopalong

Religious Shooter,

Burris has been sitting on top of a Ruger Super Redhawk chambered in .454 Casull,

for the last 2 years and is doing fine.

Should have enough time after USPSA Pistol Nats to "get used to it"

Can't let Kurt and Benny use me for a Mop at Arkansas....... <_<

my other options are 1 break Kurts left hand thumb.... :P

2 Hobble Benny...... :D

At the TN tactical match they had the small poppers out at around 180 yds, I was using the dot and turned it down to where it was see able but not "bright"

you had to shoot 1 through a barrel and move to another barrel and shoot the other, I managed 1 miss on each but I think it was more the driver than the cadillac :)

Sam,

You might want to consider the Trijicon Accu-point 1.25x4 scope. It has an orange or red triangle reticle that is supplemented by a fiber optic filament for gathering light. It's the same system used on the ACOG's. This scope has a very long eye relief which (IMHO) would make an excellent scope for the M-1A. I know Taran Butler uses one and I picked one off the prize table at last years Nationals, but I haven't really had time to play with it yet. There are few trade-off in using this type of reticle, but I think it has some real potential. You should check it out.

Erik

Hopalong:

I think the 3 MOA dot is OK. I doubt they will have anything that small at Arkansas. On those mini poppers I was using a 4.25 MOA reflex and was able to hit them...after a while! I think for general use the dot is the way to go. I find using crosshairs close and fast to be somewhat distracting, and for longer range almost too precise. I would keep the dot! KURTM

Thanks for the input Erik, Religious shooter, and Kurt

As I am used to what is on there and have been debating on it, I will run with the dot...

Look out Benny, Am changing spark plugs in the Cadillac and flipping the Breather cover :D

Thumb is safe for now..... <_<

now where is that hobble????? :P

Looking forward to seeing ya'll guys agian.

Hopalong.

Hopalong-

If I understand your premise correctly, you are saying that a 3 MOA dot, which will cover 9" at 300, can therefore yield no better accuracy than that.

That's not true at all. Even in the worst possible case you'd be likely to see in a match, an 8" plate at 300, and your dot covers it up, you'll be very close to center (with that theoretical perfect rifle, perfectly aimed), as long as you keep the whole target covered up. In fact, you'll be within an inch of center.

I can, on a good day, shoot between 1 and 2 MOA with irons on a full white IPSC target at 400 with irons (M1A). Obviously my front sight covers a lot more than 2 MOA. I just center that black front on the white target, and hold a thin white stripe below the neckline. I can't shoot better groups than that with that rifle on any target at any range.

Actually, with my M2 Aimpoint on an AR15, I shoot my best groups (again, 1-2 MOA) on a 20" black plate at 2-300. That red circle in the center of a big black circle is VERY precise (with the brightness turned down).

Then again, shooting 3 MOA under time pressure from field positions is nothing to sneeze at.

Take care.

Joe