Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sti grip tape

rack&roll

Thanks for the replies, but I was told that the grip tape for the polymer frames won't fit the aluminum frame STI. (I have the standard aluminum,BTW) I suppose I could buy what's out there, and modify it somehow. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the replies, but I was told that the grip tape for the polymer frames won't fit the aluminum frame STI. (I have the standard aluminum,BTW) I suppose I could buy what's out there, and modify it somehow. Any suggestions?

Go to Lowe's or Ace Hardware and buy a $8.00 roll of 3m stair tread tape and make your own.

"Go to Lowe's or Ace Hardware and buy a $8.00 roll of 3m stair tread tape and make your own."

That's what I'm using now, but it is really fugly! (I'm not good at cut & paste) ;)

I can't see how the aluminium grip could be that much different. i would give the Dawson's a try. It is only a few buck so you don't have much to loose.

"Go to Lowe's or Ace Hardware and buy a $8.00 roll of 3m stair tread tape and make your own."

That's what I'm using now, but it is really fugly! (I'm not good at cut & paste) ;)

I can't see how the aluminium grip could be that much different. i would give the Dawson's a try. It is only a few buck so you don't have much to loose.

Actually in the Dawson vendor forum they said that one was in the works for the aluminum grip. Give them a call and see if they are available yet. The size of the aluminum grip is different than the plastic grip. It may not line up properly. I ended up making a pattern out of a cut up manilla folder and using the 3m tread tape and it came out awesome.

You could cut the Dawson (or TruGrip or whatever) to fit. The side panels are likely to be the same as the plastic grip and you may just need either extra space or less space to have the front strap work.

Cutting the side panels from the front strap panel would allow you to space out the front strap or remove material from the front strap piece, as needed.

Wish I'd waited, but I went ahead and ordered a set of 3 (Dawson's) from SC. Their price was super cheap! I'm ready to trim them to fit. Thanks for the replies, I can't wait to try out my new aluminum grips. I took my time and carefully fitted them myself with a few files and a dremel tool, following the online tutorial I found here in the search forum. It was a little more involved than I anticipated, but I think I have a real smooth fit...hopefully no cracks! Will try to follow up on the grip tape and grips when I shoot it a bit. Later.

Edited by rack&roll