Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using magnum small pistol primers for .45acp? I tried CCI regular spp in reloads with HP-38. The result is a dirtier weapon to clean. I am thinking about using sp magnum primers to see if I get a better combustion of powder. Any thoughts?

Obviously you are using small primer cases, so, you might also try small rifle primers. If you are using a load on the light end for your components you should be able to try all the primers that fit the case without any problems.

Small pistol primers have less compound in them than large pistol primers. Switching to magnum or small rifle primers will increase the primer strength, giving better ignition and cold weather relialbility. Some have had success just using the small pistol primers alone, and will argue this point. Why tempt fate, just use the small rifle primers and be done with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally reloaded some casings with the CCI 550 small magnum pistol primers. After firing 50 rounds, I found less carbon in the receiver compared to a previous encounter with reloads with CCI 500 spp. There is a difference. Now I need to get a chrono and see the difference in velocities. Any recommendations about a chrono to purchase?