Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A 40 S&W 5" Pro Build

Walnut

I finally got a stripped 40 pro slide from S&W for a Limited build. I am currently running a 9mm 5" Pro in ESP IDPA, my plan is to swap slides so I can have a "poor man's" limited gun for USPSA. I would like some suggestions on barrels and extractors. I relize that the 40 S&W pro is a little diffrent than my 9mm, so I would love to hear from the .40 S&W shooters.

I know there are two main drop-in barrel companys i.e KKM and Storm Lake, are they true drop-in or do you have to fit them?

Extractors- three choices; factory, Speed Shooter Specialties or Apex. I remember the first generation of extractors had some issues, but now?

Any constructive input would be great appreciated!

thanks

post-13836-0-51217500-1354938836_thumb.j

the barrels are true drop in, we used both prefer kkm. i always change my extractors to SSS with the extra power spring.

the factory one should be good to go now, but SSS has never had a issue so why stop now.

I have the KKM Barrel, be aware that it has a pretty tight chamber. I use the U-Die when reloading and I know of a couple people who won't use the KKM Barrel because they were having problems drop checking with lead bullets. At first I wasn't sure how tight it was (still haven't measured it) but drop checking in the KKM and then in my filthy Ruger SR40 barrel, it was night and day.

I got the APEX extractor as well, wouldn't recommend that at all in 40. It's clearly designed for 9mm and I had to do a lot of fitting to get mine to work. It works 100% now, but the time I spent fitting it equals more than the combined time I would probably spend switching out stock extractors in the next couple of years. It's also extremely expensive compared to stock.

Also, use the rollpin extractor pin and not the solid metal one. Your punches will thank you if you ever need to take the extractor out.

Thanks for all the info everyone, Matt1911 I don't have the number for the slide, I threw away the box. :( I just called up Smith and asked them for a 5" 40 S&W stripped slide and they send it to me.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I have over 18,000 rounds of Atlanta arms thru my poor mans limited gun. Everything on the gun has been changed but the extractor. Never had any issues so why change it. KKM Barrel, Apex FSS, Calhoun Customs slide lightening, Dawson sights F&R, Tungsten guide rod, 13# IMSI spring, SSS mag well, TF mag extensions.

post-44541-0-54648200-1355804500_thumb.j

I have over 18,000 rounds of Atlanta arms thru my poor mans limited gun. Everything on the gun has been changed but the extractor. Never had any issues so why change it. KKM Barrel, Apex FSS, Calhoun Customs slide lightening, Dawson sights F&R, Tungsten guide rod, 13# IMSI spring, SSS mag well, TF mag extensions.

post-44541-0-54648200-1355804500_thumb.j

I dig the slide work. What did it set you back and how long did it take them? What the real life change in how it shoots and handles?

How many rounds are you getting per mag and what mods did you make to get that to happen?