Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on AR-15 Bolt Carrier velocity

PursuitSS

I'm running a J.P. Enterprises LMOS carrier (QPQ Finish) with a Wolff +10% action spring. I know about the theory that the wider rails on the LMOS Carrier slow the carrier velocity down. Currently my carbine is 100% on reliability with both M-193 ammo and Hornaday TAP Urban 40 gr.

Here is my question,

IF I were to have Robar plate the inside of my upper receiver with NP3, any chance it would cause problems due to a increased carrier speed? I would think that due to a reduction in drag that the carrier speed would increase greatly.

Edited by PursuitSS

If you are running your bolt carrier group wet already I would not expect any difference. Hard for a coating to get much slicker than a freshly oiled and or greased part. If the gun is running well all ready why the change?

For anything different you want to do, you will find 10 people who will tell you it can't be done. And while I agree with stlhead, I applaud you for thinking out of the box. I don't know if it will help/work or not, but what the heck, if it doesn't, you can always get another upper!

Tar

I'm interested in trying this for a couple of reasons,

1.- To ease cleaning, the NP3 finish will be easier to clean AND I should be able to tell IF it's totally clean

2.- Yes, it's 100% reliable, but anything else that helps reliability is icing on the cake

I'm running a J.P. Enterprises LMOS carrier (QPQ Finish) with a Wolff +10% action spring. I know about the theory that the wider rails on the LMOS Carrier slow the carrier velocity down. Currently my carbine is 100% on reliability with both M-193 ammo and Hornaday TAP Urban 40 gr.

Here is my question,

IF I were to have Robar plate the inside of my upper receiver with NP3, any chance it would cause problems due to a increased carrier speed? I would think that due to a reduction in drag that the carrier speed would increase greatly.

IMHO..If my gun is running 100% and I have money burnning a hole in my pocket, hell I would just buy more ammo...because if it ain't broken don't fix it you might just brake it..Oh well...Just a thought.

Here is my question,

IMHO..If my gun is running 100% and I have money burnning a hole in my pocket, hell I would just buy more ammo...because if it ain't broken don't fix it you might just brake it..Oh well...Just a thought.

I think I have to agree, I'm worried that it might create a problem. I don't like being a guinea pig.

I've had the opportunity to work semi-extensively with some Nickel Boron-ed uppers and NB upper/bcg combos (although never with a LM carrier)...but whenever we ran anything with a NB Upper we did tend to try and tune the buffer spring weight by making it heavier...it was never a science, more of a "test and see what works" (similar to tuning an adj. gas block)....with regards to whether or not in your case, adding a more slick surface would make the gun have a cyclic rate so fast it might malfunction...well, I never experienced a malfunction attributable to that...What it might do is speed up the bolt carrier enough where you would feel more recoil and therefore have to tune the gas down some or add a heavier buffer spring (although the 10% Wolff is pretty stiff)....I can say that I love NB in my uppers....it makes the weapon feel like it's on rails even after 1000s of rounds without cleaning...one of the weapons we tested had over 4500 rounds + 1500 rounds suppressed (without cleaning or lubricant) with a NB BCG and Upper and the thing felt like a normal fairly cleaned AR...kinda ridiculous.

Edited by GorillaTactical