Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of switching to an XD

Storz

I am currently shooting a Glock 31 converted to 40 cal and just can't get into it. I know they are excellent pistols but the grip just doesn't fit my hand well. I've tried.

I recently got to handle an XD9 Tactical and really, really liked the way it felt in my hand. The grip size and angle felt more natural to me. I have just a couple questions before making the jump.

Mags availability/price?

Do the mags fit in a CR Speed pouch?

After market available for trigger tuning?

Reliability (it will also serve as my CCW piece)

Competition sights are available I assume

Thoughts...

I have two of them and they are good guns. Wide variety of sight options, and tons of aftermarket goodies for them. You can get mags from 20 to 25 bucks, and yes, you can use CR speed mag holders. For trigger work, and other tuning you have lots of choices.

Springer Precision

Powder River Precision

Canyon Creek

Springfield Armory Custom Shop

Dawson for a wide variety of sights

Wolf for a variety of recoils springs

Edited by grapemiester

I forgot to mention that you need to replace the striker spring retaining pin, if you do a lot of dry fire practice. The stock pin is the weakest part of the gun, and it's very common for the stock pins to break. Powder River offers a replacement pin that you will probably never have to replace.

Springfield Armory has never given me a problem on repair work, and never charged me a dime. My gun was there earlier in the year for some repair work. While the gun was there they checked my trigger to make sure it was at 6lbs for an upcoming IPSC match, and replaced a few worn parts for no charge.

Are the 4" guns competitive or should I stick to the 5" tactical?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

5 inch, definitely, or the new 5.25, but they are more money, and the mags are more expensive. I had my 1st Tactical before the 5.25 came out, and since I have two of them, I've stuck with the Tactical. If I was just starting out, I would seriously consider or at least be tempted to pay more and get a couple of 5.25's.

Edited by grapemiester

My 9 yr old grandson shoots an xd9 and does a great job. Put a powder river trigger in it and it works great. Mags are everywhere, sporting goods, gunshows. Picked up three mags off of craigslist for $40.00 recently. Deals are out there. Great shooting gun.

I started with a XDM45 acp and then I switched to a Glock 24. I love the 6 1/4" long barrel, and the long sight radius, but the XDM feels soooo muck better in my hand, and it seems to point better. Ever since I got the Glock I have removed the finger groves, reduced the grip as much as I can to get it to try to feel like the XDM. You can also get a XDM trigger to be a lot more smooth, and have a heck of a lot less pre travel. I sent mine off to Springer Precision and he did the 2lb trigger job on it, and I will tell you it is the best trigger I, and a lot of people that have felt it said it is the best trigger they have ever felt on a polymer framed gun!! You can also get a pistol gear magwell that the front is cut out so you can use the stock mags until you save up enough money to get the base pads for your mags. I also got the big button mag release for it from springer, and it worked great, but I did have some troubles with it at first with table pickups, and drawing and the mag would eject on there own so I shaved it down just a little bit and bingo no more self ejects. Of course there are guide rods and springs available everywhere, and if you want to save even a little more money go with the Dawson front sight that goes with the stock rear. So after all of that I guess what I am trying to say I'd go with a XDM you will not regret it!! post-35778-135434015213_thumb.jpg

post-35778-135434016732_thumb.jpg

post-35778-13543401838_thumb.jpg

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seven XD's/XDm's. My carry gun is an older 4" Service model XD40 with a Springer Trigger and Dawson Adjustable FO sights. All my XD family of guns have trigger work, mostly Springer kits, a couple with Powder River kits, and my XDm 4.5 40 has a Springfield Custom Shop trigger job which is very good indeed. I love them, and they all get shot but I shoot the XDm40 5.25 the most nowadays with the 4.5 a close second. Two of my guns also have 9mm conversion barrels for them which work quite well (4.5 and Tactical which were both .40's as purchased). Having the "dual caliber" setups on those is quite handy and saved me a ton of money both on just buying the barrels vs. a new gun, but also because I can reload 9mm even more inexpensively than .40, and I like to shoot steel with the 9mm conversions because I will go through 350-500rnds per session and the difference in cost between 9mm and 40 really mounts up at those numbers.

I did own a Glock once, and it shot just fine, but like you I prefer the grip angle on the XD types. Since I reload and shoot a lot of lead, the XD's are also better for me as the stock barrels will shoot lead very well, whereas the Glock would need an aftermarket barrel to allow that.

One member mentioned the striker retaining pin as being a part that might break. Of the seven XD types I have only one, my oldest, the 4" Service Model, has broken one of those, and that was after 16,000 rounds and a good bit of dry firing. Springer found it when I sent him the gun to put the Dawson sights on, so I cannot describe the way it looked, but I was getting occasional failures to fire with a lightly dented primer just before I sent it to him. Since he replaced the pin, I have had no more problems of any kind with the gun, and that is why I carry it... plus I know I can probably hit what I'm aiming at with it, should it ever come to that.

Well guys I came home with a new gun today, but its not an XD. I ended up picking up a gen 4 glock. The 2mm reduction in grip size really makes it fit my hand better, and being able to keep using all of my same holsters, pouches etc is a great bonus.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2