Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Calibration ammo discussion points (USPSA)

Graham Smith

Not sure why this just popped into my head but earlier in the year someone asked me why not use factory ammo for this, that way you always know you are using a consistent load. My response was that most 9mm factory loads were over 125 PF. So then they asked, why not use a .22? If it will go down with that, it will go down with anything.

Other than that not being according to the book, I could not come up with a good answer.

The RM is charged with having a supply of calibration ammo and a calibration gun. A good recipee is one that is consistent and accurate. My calibration ammo is 122PF as tested from 40F to 90F out of the specified pistol. It is a 124 fmj.

Not sure why this just popped into my head but earlier in the year someone asked me why not use factory ammo for this, that way you always know you are using a consistent load. My response was that most 9mm factory loads were over 125 PF. So then they asked, why not use a .22? If it will go down with that, it will go down with anything.

Other than that not being according to the book, I could not come up with a good answer.

Factory ammo might not be as consistent as one might think.

One of the ideas behind poppers is to test and reward power, setting a popper to go down with a 22 would not do that. If a 22 takes it down a popper with a hit in the calibration zone then a 125pf load will take it down with a very low hit on the face, if it is set to fall with a 120pf hit in the calibration zone then a low hit with a 125pf load will probably not knock it over but a 170 pf load may thus the rewarding higher power.

Mike

One question along the same lines I have had is are all 115-125pf loads really equal? we are loadng our ammo to a calculated power factor to test if a popper is set correctly, popular opinion is that heavier bullets take down poppers better, so should we be using lighter bullets in our calibration ammo, or would it be just as fair to a shooter to show up and test a challenged popper with a 120pf 230gr 45acp?

Mike

One question along the same lines I have had is are all 115-125pf loads really equal? we are loadng our ammo to a calculated power factor to test if a popper is set correctly, popular opinion is that heavier bullets take down poppers better, so should we be using lighter bullets in our calibration ammo, or would it be just as fair to a shooter to show up and test a challenged popper with a 120pf 230gr 45acp?

Mike

That is why I don't use my normal bullets which are 125 JHP and 147 JHP. The 124 fmj at 122 was the worst when at taking down steel of the various loads I tried. I used a table with an old skateboard to compare energy levels for a different reason, but I ended up using it for working up a Calibration load. When I RM, I personally shoot every piece of steel every morning. After several dead center hits with all poppoers falling, competitors stopped challenging and started to shoot them down. If all the poppers are set every morning, this is what should happen.

I have a question that came up at the last state match I worked at. There was no chrono at the match. The range master had chronograph his loads at area 5 by Ken Skeeters. Now its a few months later and allot colder. One shooter ask if it wasn't chronographed at this match so is it good? I think the shooter lost his challenge.

Some of the smaller state match's don't run a chrono.

Brent